11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hey everyone!

I landed in Canada as a new PR on September 2nd with the address in Ontario. The next day, I left Canada and flew back home. Then I returned to Canada on October 10th, spending 38 days in total outside of the country. I returned to the same province.

Today I decided to apply for OHIP and I got a temporary paper card, stating that I am eligible for the program. I was told that an actual card will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

So now, I am not exactly sure whether I can use public healthcare or not. By the time I will hit my first 183 days in Ontario since landing, I will not have spent the necessary 153 days because I already spent 38 days instead of maximum 30 outside of Ontario.

I am a little confused because the card states that I am eligible, no questions asked but I don't want to use the services if I will get the bill by the end of the first 6 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey everyone!

I landed in Canada as a new PR on September 2nd with the address in Ontario. The next day, I left Canada and flew back home. Then I returned to Canada on October 10th, spending 38 days in total outside of the country. I returned to the same province.

Today I decided to apply for OHIP and I got a temporary paper card, stating that I am eligible for the program. I was told that an actual card will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

So now, I am not exactly sure whether I can use public healthcare or not. By the time I will hit my first 183 days in Ontario since landing, I will not have spent the necessary 153 days because I already spent 38 days instead of maximum 30 outside of Ontario.

I am a little confused because the card states that I am eligible, no questions asked but I don't want to use the services if I will get the bill by the end of the first 6 months.
Did you tell the person at Service Ontario that you only started the 3 month waiting period on October 10 when you returned to Ontario? Are you planning on leaving Ontario again for over 30 days in the next 6 months (starting on Oct 10th)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey everyone!

You gave the wrong date. Your settlement date, the date on which your 3 month wait period began, was Oct 10th. Go back to Service Ontario and correct this.

Reactions: YVR123

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Did you tell the person at Service Ontario that you only started the 3 month waiting period on October 10 when you returned to Ontario? Are you planning on leaving Ontario again for over 30 days in the next 6 months (starting on Oct 10th)?
You gave the wrong date. Your settlement date, the date on which your 3 month wait period began, was Oct 10th. Go back to Service Ontario and correct this.
I did not give any dates other than those that were asked in the form.
The form asked for my address in Ontario, which I provided.
The form asked where I moved from and I provided my address in the US. I was also asked when did I leave my old address and I provided the date of landing.
The form then asked me when did I arrive in Ontario and provided the date of landing because it is literally the date I arrived in Ontario.

The form also asked my on the date I took permanent residence in Ontario. This again was the date of landing. And I am not sure how it is not? I left the place of my residence, which was the US and I landed in Ontario as in the place of my permanent residence. On the next day I went to Russia, which is my country of citizenship but it hasn't been my country of residence for almost 3 years. A month later I returned to Ontario, which has been my place of permanent residence since landing.

I then brought the form and all the necessary documents. The only date I was asked to provide was the date when I started living at my current address, which I told was October 10th, 2019

Don't get me wrong, your advice is much more beneficial for me because I'd rather have my health coverage start a month later than 4 months later. I just want to understand if I did provide the wrong date.

I am not planning on leaving Ontario in the next 6 months

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The form asked where I moved from and I provided my address in the US. I was also asked when did I leave my old address and I provided the date of landing.
The form then asked me when did I arrive in Ontario and provided the date of landing because it is literally the date I arrived in Ontario.

The form also asked my on the date I took permanent residence in Ontario. This again was the date of landing. And I am not sure how it is not? I left the place of my residence, which was the US and I landed in Ontario as in the place of my permanent residence. On the next day I went to Russia, which is my country of citizenship but it hasn't been my country of residence for almost 3 years. A month later I returned to Ontario, which has been my place of permanent residence since landing.
You actually didn’t permanently move to Canada until October 10th. Most people don’t arrive then leave for over a month and then return or they Put the day they arrive in Ontario as the day day they permanently arrived in Ontario. It’s no big deal you’ll just have to change it now that you know. You’ll have to go and fix the error or risk being billed if OHIP finds out. If you are planning on being out of Canada for over 30 days in the next 6 months (from Oct 10th) or not be in Ontario for the next 6 out of 12 months starting Oct 10th you should cancel OHIP and apply once you know you can meet the requirements.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I then brought the form and all the necessary documents. The only date I was asked to provide was the date when I started living at my current address, which I told was October 10th, 2019

Don't get me wrong, your advice is much more beneficial for me because I'd rather have my health coverage start a month later than 4 months later. I just want to understand if I did provide the wrong date.

I am not planning on leaving Ontario in the next 6 months
As I said, wrong date. Establishing permanent residence for healthcare purposes is not the same thing as becoming a PR. You began residing in Canada Oct 10th.