+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got married after PR application was submitted

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello everyone! I have a relevant inquiry. Wolfpmd3, I think our situation is similar to yours. My husband applied for the PR (stream PEQ-Quebec) in Sept 2018. In October 2019, we got married in Montreal. Right after the marriage, he contacted IRCC by phone to inform about the change of marital status and they sent him info via email on the steps he had to follow to update his status and add me as accompanying (list of required docs same as the one received by Wolfpmd3). In the meantime (Nov 2019) he was called for the medical, which was cleared in December. He received the pre-arrival services letter (although he is already in Canada) mid-January and a few days later an email by an officer asking him to send his passport (although he doesn't have to because he doesn't need an entry visa - he is from Europe). However, he hadn't updated his marital status/added me as accompanying yet, as our marriage certificate was only issued at the end of January. He updated his marital status/added me as accompanying by submitting all the forms, docs (marriage, birth, police certificates), and the payment for me at the end of February (when I managed to obtain my police certificate from my country of origin). I didn't do the upfront medical because we didn't know I could. We haven't heard back from them yet. I guess there might be delays due to Covid-19 too but we are wondering what's happening and when they should be calling me for the medical and biometrics (if I need)! The estimated completion time for his PR is July 24. What should we be expecting? Does anyone know if they are still working on such cases? I am currently on a student status in Canada (QQ) and he is on a work permit, which expires in June. Should I attempt to take an upfront medical (Covid-19 allowing of course... ). Are we missing something? Thank you in advance!!
He can easily apply for a Brinding Work Permit (in around May 2020) when the expiration of his work permits is approaching. I am almost certain your PR will not be approved by June, so you should be ready to apply for this BOWP (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html)

You should have submitted your Medicals upfront, I mean, that is not the requirement but you certainly can and that helps speed things up for sure. --> In my case between adding my spouse as an accompanying dependant and getting our PRs approved only 14 days went by. She got biometrics requested within 9 days and the next after her biometrics were submitted we had our PRs approved.

However, we are living a totally different situation right now, meaning that you are not likely to find a Panel Physician to perform a medical exam, which is why you should have had it done back in January. Nothing to do now, just waiting and being patient.

Realistically, you should be looking at August-September to have your application approved, but there is no way to know for sure it all depends on how things with the pandemic evolve.

Good luck!

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
I just wanted to update everyone that has been helpful on this thread especially @Wolfpmd3 on my application. I submitted all of the documents I was required to submit along with an upfront medical and upfront police certificate on March 24th and today exactly 3 weeks later my spouse was added to my application, medical was approved and a biometrics collection letter was issues since I had already paid for it to expedite things. However, I never submitted form IMM5669 as it kept failing to upload and never received a response to any of my inquiries about not being able to upload this form. I'm not sure if they do not need this form or are still reviewing everything even after the biometrics request for my spouse. I would say we are both close to being approved but the status of my eligibility and background check is still in progress so I would say it would take a while longer. Even though Canadian and U.S biometrics service centers are currently shut down until further notice it's still very encouraging to see him finally added as a dependent on my application and the estimated application completion date is still June 16th and has not been extended yet. Again thank you all for your help!! :)

Reactions: Wolfpmd3

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I just wanted to update everyone that has been helpful on this thread especially @Wolfpmd3 on my application. I submitted all of the documents I was required to submit along with an upfront medical and upfront police certificate on March 24th and today exactly 3 weeks later my spouse was added to my application, medical was approved and a biometrics collection letter was issues since I had already paid for it to expedite things. However, I never submitted form IMM5669 as it kept failing to upload and never received a response to any of my inquiries about not being able to upload this form. I'm not sure if they do not need this form or are still reviewing everything even after the biometrics request for my spouse. I would say we are both close to being approved but the status of my eligibility and background check is still in progress so I would say it would take a while longer. Even though Canadian and U.S biometrics service centers are currently shut down until further notice it's still very encouraging to see him finally added as a dependent on my application and the estimated application completion date is still June 16th and has not been extended yet. Again thank you all for your help!! :)
You are more than welcome.

You should try to get in touch with the call center and ask about what things have and are yet to be approved for both your spouse and yourself.

Since you haven't submitted biometrics yet, of course not everything will be approved.

Regarding form #5669, if they haven't asked for it and already issued the biometrics request letter, I think it's safe to assume they don't need it and you don't need to worry about it.

But just for your info, our application was approved the day after my spouse's biometrics were submitted. But bear in mind that everything on my side (security, eligibility, criminality, medical) has all been passed even before adding my spouse. So if this was your case as well, your application is very close to be finalized. Receiving a Biometrics request letter is a very good sign, hopefully you'll be able to submit them soon and you will soon after, most likely, have your application approved.

All the best and keep us posted!

Helina93

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Unfortunately, the call center has been indefinitely suspended for the past 3 weeks now. And yes, I would say biometrics request is a good sign but it’s also only been 4 months since I submitted my whole PR application and other than my medicals since everything is still in progress I’m being realistic with myself and think it’ll be at least until June to get approved

MM30

Apr 13, 2020
He can easily apply for a Brinding Work Permit (in around May 2020) when the expiration of his work permits is approaching. I am almost certain your PR will not be approved by June, so you should be ready to apply for this BOWP (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html)

You should have submitted your Medicals upfront, I mean, that is not the requirement but you certainly can and that helps speed things up for sure. --> In my case between adding my spouse as an accompanying dependant and getting our PRs approved only 14 days went by. She got biometrics requested within 9 days and the next after her biometrics were submitted we had our PRs approved.

However, we are living a totally different situation right now, meaning that you are not likely to find a Panel Physician to perform a medical exam, which is why you should have had it done back in January. Nothing to do now, just waiting and being patient.

Realistically, you should be looking at August-September to have your application approved, but there is no way to know for sure it all depends on how things with the pandemic evolve.

Good luck!
Thank you, Wolfpmd3! I actually did the medical today! It's crazy, I know, but I called a few centers yesterday (Easter Monday!!) and they gave me an appointment for today so I had it done this morning. I just wanted to give info to anyone else who needs to do the medicals and say that some medical centers are working. I did mine in Montreal. They gave me a paper with a reference number to submit to immigration via the Webform. The paper has my pic on it and it mentions that it's an upfront medical - worker. Hoping that everything will be fine with the medical and we will be able to proceed with my Biometrics and Canadian police certificate once the services reopen. We called the service that does the police certificates in Montreal but they are indeed closed until further notice.

Also, we received an email from immigration today (essentially a reply to some questions re processing times that we submitted via the Webform a few days ago). They say that they cannot give a timeline and that we should be expecting slight delays but that they are actively working to finalize the application as soon as possible. So I am guessing this is good news..?!?

Many thanks again for all the info and I will update if I have any developments that could be helpful to others!

Reactions: Loren27

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
[
Thank you, Wolfpmd3! I actually did the medical today! It's crazy, I know, but I called a few centers yesterday (Easter Monday!!) and they gave me an appointment for today so I had it done this morning. I just wanted to give info to anyone else who needs to do the medicals and say that some medical centers are working. I did mine in Montreal. They gave me a paper with a reference number to submit to immigration via the Webform. The paper has my pic on it and it mentions that it's an upfront medical - worker. Hoping that everything will be fine with the medical and we will be able to proceed with my Biometrics and Canadian police certificate once the services reopen. We called the service that does the police certificates in Montreal but they are indeed closed until further notice.

Also, we received an email from immigration today (essentially a reply to some questions re processing times that we submitted via the Webform a few days ago). They say that they cannot give a timeline and that we should be expecting slight delays but that they are actively working to finalize the application as soon as possible. So I am guessing this is good news..?!?

Many thanks again for all the info and I will update if I have any developments that could be helpful to others!
Yeap, that's the eMedical tracking sheet.
I am surprised you were able to find a panel physician who is actually performing these exams right now, especially in Montréal, but hey, really good news for everyone else.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: MM30

ash_diaz

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
Hi @Wolfpmd3
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I have a somewhat similar issue.
I am 2020 MAY AOR and I finally received by PPR in May 2022 with the expiry date as March 30th 2023.
However, I got married in September 2022 and I believe now I have to add him to my application.
How do I add my spouse to my application now? Can I add him as a non-accompanying spouse because he might not be able to land in Canada together with me because of work commitments? Similarly, does he need to do IELTS and WES certification, or only the PCC and medical is required?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!