+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got Married after doing Soft Landing!!

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
Hey Everyone!

I did soft landing via US-Canada border at rainbow bridge and became a PR. I dont have my PR card yet though. I am back in the US. A week after I did soft landing, I got married. Do I need to notify IRCC about the change of marital status and my spouse?

The way I understand is that IRCC is only concerned and considers a misrepresentation l if I got married while the PR application was in process and if I. didn’t notify about change of marital status. Once I do soft landing and become a PR, the PR application is considered to be completed. I will have to sponsor my spouse now and start their PR application from scratch. Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey Everyone!

I did soft landing via US-Canada border at rainbow bridge and became a PR. I dont have my PR card yet though. I am back in the US. A week after I did soft landing, I got married. Do I need to notify IRCC about the change of marital status and my spouse?

The way I understand is that IRCCis only concerned if I got married while the PR application was in process and didn’t notify about change of marital status. Once I do soft landing and become a PR, the PR application is considered to be completed. I will have to sponsor my spouse now and start their PR application from scratch. Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.

Appreciate your help in advance.
Basically yes. Note you can only sponsor spouse while physically in Canada, and remain resident throughout the sponsorship process (short trips abroad allowed).

I would suggest that if you want the spousal spnosorship to go smoothly, start it and do it after actually settling in Canada.

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
Basically yes. Note you can only sponsor spouse while physically in Canada, and remain resident throughout the sponsorship process (short trips abroad allowed).

I would suggest that if you want the spousal spnosorship to go smoothly, start it and do it after actually settling in Canada.
Hello,

thank you. So you are saying I should notify IRCC about change of marital status? How to do that?

i plan on moving to Canada after a few months, early 2023.

frange

May 25, 2018
Hello,

thank you. So you are saying I should notify IRCC about change of marital status? How to do that?

i plan on moving to Canada after a few months, early 2023.
No, you don't have to notify anything to IRCC since you are PR already (soft landed) even you don't have your PR card in hands.

The only thing is: To have the ability to sponsor a relative/ spouse...etc; you have to be physically in Canada.

NB:
If you get married ; when you submit your application to sponsor your relative, you have to put your new marital status which married and put the supporting documents.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpancholi0109