+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA, married on paper, applied for PR as single, plan is to consummate marriage once PR received

redstar15

Feb 3, 2019
So I got my ITA the same day I got married in the municipality in my home country in Africa in January 2019. I have not consummated the marriage yet and me and my partner don't live together yet (according to my religion, this is not a complete marriage yet). This is common in my home country in Africa where people get married on paper in the municipality, then they throw a party couple months later and finish up the marriage (i.e. wife moves with husband and they consummate the marriage).
Anyways, so after that I came back to canada and my partner stayed at home. I submitted my application for PR under the Canadian Experience Class as single/never married.
My plan is: after I get my PR, I go back home for a month to consummate the marriage and spend time together with my partner (i.e. according to my religion, only then we are actually married).
My partner can then apply for PR as my wife, then she can go to the Canadian Embassy to apply for a visitor visa to come live with me in Canada while waiting for her PR application result.

My questions are:
1. In the marriage paper it is going to state the day I got married in the municipality and not the day we consummated the marriage (and became officially married according to my religion). When my partner applies for PR as my wife, will immigration be upset that I submitted my PR application as single, or will they be understanding of the religious part and let us carry on with our plans?
2. Any flaws or issues in the whole thing, any recommendations?

Thanks a lot

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So I got my ITA the same day I got married in the municipality in my home country in Africa in January 2019. I have not consummated the marriage yet and me and my partner don't live together yet (according to my religion, this is not a complete marriage yet). This is common in my home country in Africa where people get married on paper in the municipality, then they throw a party couple months later and finish up the marriage (i.e. wife moves with husband and they consummate the marriage).
Anyways, so after that I came back to canada and my partner stayed at home. I submitted my application for PR under the Canadian Experience Class as single/never married.
My plan is: after I get my PR, I go back home for a month to consummate the marriage and spend time together with my partner (i.e. according to my religion, only then we are actually married).
My partner can then apply for PR as my wife, then she can go to the Canadian Embassy to apply for a visitor visa to come live with me in Canada while waiting for her PR application result.

My questions are:
1. In the marriage paper it is going to state the day I got married in the municipality and not the day we consummated the marriage (and became officially married according to my religion). When my partner applies for PR as my wife, will immigration be upset that I submitted my PR application as single, or will they be understanding of the religious part and let us carry on with our plans?
2. Any flaws or issues in the whole thing, any recommendations?

Thanks a lot
You are legally married. Failure to include your wife in your PR app is misrepresentation, immigration fraud, meaning you will never be able to sponsor her.

Reactions: scylla

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Any suggestions?
Canuck is correct. I'm sure you realize that in Canada, Canada's laws prevail, not your customs. It appears you were legally married at the time you applied, and applied as single, this is a big problem. I would recommend seeking legal advice.

It may be possible to write a letter of explanation about your misunderstanding, but even if IRCC accepts this, it may have an impact on your eligibility if they allow you to add your wife to your application; or it might be OK. Again, before you do anything, suggest getting advice from a good immigration lawyer -

Reactions: scylla

Aize

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks for the response.

Any suggestions?
You should get advice from a professional ASAP as this is now a tricky situation. Adding her now will be suspicious as u were married before u applied but stated that u were single. Sponsoring her in the future will also cause them to look at the date on ur marriage document. Unless u get marriage to her again after u get ur PR, so u have a marriage document dated after ur PR. But then again ur previous marriage would have to be completely off the record because u know they make serious investigations.