+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA but should I apply for rehabilitation?

Anon49

Feb 10, 2019
Hey guys!

I recently received ITA after waiting for a long long time.
I've recently realised that I have a few things on my criminal record that might get in the way of me getting PR though :(

I have 2 offences as a juvenile offender in my home country:
- shoplifting
- possession of marijuana

I also got a DUI in The Netherlands 6 years ago. I blew 0.04, which means I was under the limit of 0.05, but it turned out that they have a different limit for people who are within the first 5 years of owning their driver license. I got a ticket in the mail, which I paid for back then.

Because I thought this was just a traffic ticket and because the other 2 offences were before I turned 18, I never mentioned this when entering Canada many times in the past and when successfully applying for a working holiday visa. I applied for my certificates of good conduct in both countries and both came back clean, which I thought confirmed this.

Am I meant to apply for criminal rehabilitation now? I'm concerned that if I apply now, I might get a ban for apparently lying/misrepresenting in the past.
Can I just explain this on my PR application instead and avoid the really long waiting time for rehabilitation, since juvenile offences don't make you inadmissible and there is no similar crime in Canada for being in the first 5 years of your license plus I was under the 0.08 Canadian limit?

If I do apply for rehabilitation, can I apply for TRP and visit Canada in that time? How long does it take to get TRP?