+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA but passport expires in < 6 months

Sedoms

Jun 12, 2019
Hi All,

I got my ITA in May and will complete uploading my documents this week. I just realized my passport expires on Jan 11th 2020 which puts July 11th as 6 month period.

Even though when I upload the documents, my validity will be >6 months. Will this be an issue?

Marty794

May 15, 2013
Hi All,

I got my ITA in May and will complete uploading my documents this week. I just realized my passport expires on Jan 11th 2020 which puts July 11th as 6 month period.

Even though when I upload the documents, my validity will be >6 months. Will this be an issue?
I would suggest renewing your passport if it does not take a long time then applying with a passport that is valid for more than 6months to be safe. A few people have gotten rejections on not meeting criteria no matter how small we perceive it to be.

amrsingh08

Jun 16, 2019
So, after getting ITA can we change the passport details? and upload a new updated passport after getting the invitation?

Sedoms

Jun 12, 2019
I would suggest renewing your passport if it does not take a long time then applying with a passport that is valid for more than 6months to be safe. A few people have gotten rejections on not meeting criteria no matter how small we perceive it to be.
I definitely understand the concern you share but I am afraid I do not have time to get passport renewal and a lot of other factors going against me to follow your suggestion
1. ETA expires on July 1st i.e. 7 more days
2. IELTS expires in 2 months
3. Not sure when I will get ITA again with the score of 557.
4. Passport renewal will take 1 month to say the least

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
I definitely understand the concern you share but I am afraid I do not have time to get passport renewal and a lot of other factors going against me to follow your suggestion
1. ETA expires on July 1st i.e. 7 more days
2. IELTS expires in 2 months
3. Not sure when I will get ITA again with the score of 557.
4. Passport renewal will take 1 month to say the least
In order to issue your PR visa (that is, after ALL the EE successful process and upon your PR application approval), your passport must have a validity of 6 months or more in order to stamp the PR visa on in it.

However, you can submit your application with your current passport now, it's ok.
BUT after you pass the medical (and before your passport is requested by IRCC!):
  • Go ahead and renew your passport.
  • Submit a scanned copy of your new passport using the Web form.
  • In the inquiry box, please provide:
    • your old passport number
    • your application ID number, which is provided in your (AOR).
That's it!

Sedoms

Jun 12, 2019
In order to issue your PR visa (that is, after ALL the EE successful process and upon your PR application approval), your passport must have a validity of 6 months or more in order to stamp the PR visa on in it.

However, you can submit your application with your current passport now, it's ok.
BUT after you pass the medical (and before your passport is requested by IRCC!):
  • Go ahead and renew your passport.
  • Submit a scanned copy of your new passport using the Web form.
  • In the inquiry box, please provide:
    • your old passport number
    • your application ID number, which is provided in your (AOR).
That's it!
Thank you so much for detailed information. It helps a lot and to clarify the proper usage of the web form, which would you suggest as the appropriate question to choose for passport changes
1. Replacement documents, Amendment to documents and Verification of status documents
2. Change of contact information

or any other?

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
Thank you so much for detailed information. It helps a lot and to clarify the proper usage of the web form, which would you suggest as the appropriate question to choose for passport changes
1. Replacement documents, Amendment to documents and Verification of status documents
2. Change of contact information

or any other?
None of these, you should scroll down and select:
Option # 15: Permanent Residence (Applied online).
Then add your details in the given text box.

Sedoms

Jun 12, 2019
None of these, you should scroll down and select:
Option # 15: Permanent Residence (Applied online).
Then add your details in the given text box.
I had done tons of research about the entire process but was not prepared for these kinda issues. I appreciate your inputs and leading me in the right direction, thanks!

Rayan75

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
I had done tons of research about the entire process but was not prepared for these kinda issues. I appreciate your inputs and leading me in the right direction, thanks!
easy-peasy my friend. Your issue is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more simple than most of us ^.^

Expelliarmus56

Sep 3, 2020
easy-peasy my friend. Your issue is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more simple than most of us ^.^
Hi. I have a similar issue. And I've already made my PCC certificate on my current passport whicj is expiring in 4 months. If I update my passport do I need to update my PCC certificate aswell?

abypatra

Jul 2, 2021
Hi. I have a similar issue. And I've already made my PCC certificate on my current passport whicj is expiring in 4 months. If I update my passport do I need to update my PCC certificate aswell?
I have the exact same question - any insight on this would be really helpful!!

IMO we can submit the application with new passport and old pcc, while explaining in the LOE. This should work.

SanketPatil92

Mar 1, 2021
I have the exact same question - any insight on this would be really helpful!!

IMO we can submit the application with new passport and old pcc, while explaining in the LOE. This should work.
Please let me know if this worked for you , I am in same situation.