+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

got decision letter already but need to work in USA

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
I got the decision letter,
due to my professional industry is pretty competitive in Canada who did not hold a degree from Canada locally, I got a real interview from a USA company.
Just the company ask me what type of visa in the USA I will need to work in the USA legally.
Wondering if anyone knows about this?
Thank you very much~

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got the decision letter,
due to my professional industry is pretty competitive in Canada who did not hold a degree from Canada locally, I got a real interview from a USA company.
Just the company ask me what type of visa in the USA I will need to work in the USA legally.
Wondering if anyone knows about this?
Thank you very much~
The kind of work permit you need will depend on what passport / citizenship you hold. What's your citizenship?

Reactions: jddd

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
In addition to what scylla said and noting that I know nothing about US immigration:

do your prospective employers know you are a convention refugee? Are you applying for permanent residence in the US? Because if not, I would assume that it is going to be difficult to be granted any type of temporary permits to the US. Being accepted as a refugee in Canada does not grant you the same “privileges” as Canadian citizens so scylla is absolutely correct in that your citizenship will determine what you require.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Based on your previous posts you haven’t applied for PR yet. Is that correct? Would prioritize that if you are looking to eventually work or travel internationally. You need PR before citizenship.

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
Based on your previous posts you haven’t applied for PR yet. Is that correct? Would prioritize that if you are looking to eventually work or travel internationally. You need PR before citizenship.
I need to apply the refugee travel document in order to apply for the temporary work status in US~~
That's my lawyer said so. But she knows nothing about the US~~

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
Just for the specific work for the company in US coz the offer will be good and it had been hard for me to get my professional job in Canada.
After I work in that company in US, it will much easier to get a job in Canada when I back to Canada.
I have no interest to apply PR in US at all

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
In addition to what scylla said and noting that I know nothing about US immigration:

do your prospective employers know you are a convention refugee? Are you applying for permanent residence in the US? Because if not, I would assume that it is going to be difficult to be granted any type of temporary permits to the US. Being accepted as a refugee in Canada does not grant you the same “privileges” as Canadian citizens so scylla is absolutely correct in that your citizenship will determine what you require.
They did not know this yet and he only knew that I can get Canada's PR myself without company's help. I have no interest to apply PR in US~~~ it will just be work there in US.
Just the opportunity is good and will help my career in Canada eventually. So it will be good for me to go there work a while first and come back.
The company I also concidered to interview in the first place because they said they are expand the company in Canada. However, after first run interview, the manager seems wanted to put me to work in US....

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
They did not know this yet and he only knew that I can get Canada's PR myself without company's help. I have no interest to apply PR in US~~~ it will just be work there in US.
Just the opportunity is good and will help my career in Canada eventually. So it will be good for me to go there work a while first and come back.
The company I also concidered to interview in the first place because they said they are expand the company in Canada. However, after first run interview, the manager seems wanted to put me to work in US....
then this is a very good time to let them know that you are not a Canadian PR yet. That it may take take another year or more before you are one. If this is such a good opportunity, you would want to ensure full honesty for future opportunities in case this one does not work out.

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
then this is a very good time to let them know that you are not a Canadian PR yet. That it may take take another year or more before you are one. If this is such a good opportunity, you would want to ensure full honesty for future opportunities in case this one does not work out.
They know that already that I told them before... I will get PR in Canada myself ~.
I am more concern if it is right to fully tell them about the status such as the refugee travel document to apply for the work permit in the US because of the refugee is not a welcome thing in the US from the news. and also it is part of my personal privacy right ~ I had been taught many times that I only need to make sure that I can work legally in Canada but not need to explain more about my status.... although I don't see it is a problem coz I am clearly will get citizenship by my own in Canada one day

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They know that already that I told them before... I will get PR in Canada myself ~.
I am more concern if it is right to fully tell them about the status such as the refugee travel document to apply for the work permit in the US because of the refugee is not a welcome thing in the US from the news. and also it is part of my personal privacy right ~ I had been taught many times that I only need to make sure that I can work legally in Canada but not need to explain more about my status.... although I don't see it is a problem coz I am clearly will get citizenship by my own in Canada one day
How are you going to work legally in the US? It isn’t that easy. Is the company prepared to go through the H1B process.

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
How are you going to work legally in the US? It isn’t that easy. Is the company prepared to go through the H1B process.
they are asking me about that...so I told them my situation and see what they can do.
basically even Candian citizens need to apply visa to work in US as well

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I would always say yes to full honesty. Even if they do not know about your refugee status now, they will know once they ask you for proof of status in Canada. Even here in Canada, you need to prove you are a citizen/PR/permit holder before you can work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
they are asking me about that...so I told them my situation and see what they can do.
basically even Candian citizens need to apply visa to work in US as well
Yes but Canadians have access to certain visas and NAFTA(that will be changed). H1B is a lottery program and takes a while with no guarantees you’ll get selected.