+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got admit in College with Duolingo. Do I need to take IELTS seperately for VISA approval?.

Akash Mehta

Oct 12, 2015
Hi all,

Quick intro to my profile - I've completed my MBA in India and have extensive work experience of 8years.

Now I want to pursue higher studies in Canada to cut short my PR route. Few of you suggested to apply for graduate certificate program for 1 year and apply for PR in CEC.

So I have applied to few colleges in Ontario with Duolingo, since IELTS is not yet open and accepting the registration now due to ongoing lockdown.

I have received acceptance from few colleges also. Now with this, shall I go ahead for visa application or should I take IELTS to get my visa approved.? Pls guide!!

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
Hi all,

Quick intro to my profile - I've completed my MBA in India and have extensive work experience of 8years.

Now I want to pursue higher studies in Canada to cut short my PR route. Few of you suggested to apply for graduate certificate program for 1 year and apply for PR in CEC.

So I have applied to few colleges in Ontario with Duolingo, since IELTS is not yet open and accepting the registration now due to ongoing lockdown.

I have received acceptance from few colleges also. Now with this, shall I go ahead for visa application or should I take IELTS to get my visa approved.? Pls guide!!
For you to file Visa in SDS or Non SDS, you still need to have valid IELTS.

Jaydip2406

Star Member
Sep 26, 2019
Hi all,

Nope, You'll have to give an IELTS exam for the visa since Duolingo isn't accepted...

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Reactions: Rafaelhag43

sqfit

Jan 16, 2020
Colleges / University ask for valid IELTS scorecard if one hail from NON English speaking countries.
India is one of them even though my schooling and college was done from institutions that had instructions in English (mentioned somewhere in some colleges that they excuse it if you come from such schools) but yet they asked for ielts and I gave duolingo as well. Btw ielts is necessary, because if it wasn’t how come some people do get refused due to low ielts? Be safe and give your ielts test.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
If you are from India, you apparently need IELTS (preferably academic) - whether SDS or Non-SDS. This is a country-specific requirement.

Reactions: MHtoAB

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
To clear things up, in GENERAL you do not need english proficiency test for non SDS streams UNLESS your country has specific instructions telling you so -- India is one of them. I apologize for missing the fact that OP is from India.

Last edited: