+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a new laptop for the online test. Any suggestions

DejavuCA

Star Member
Jun 17, 2021
I’m taking the test ASAP. Just wanted to ask about anything that I should be aware of. Like there is this Norton antivirus that comes up with the laptop. Would that cause trouble? The laptop only had like Microsoft edge etc so I downloaded google chrome. Anything else, what do you think? Thanks!

sookie85

Apr 30, 2014
Kosovo
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
09-05-2015
AOR Received.
07-08-2015
File Transfer...
07-08-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2016
Med's Done....
13-06-2016
Interview........
09-05-2016
Passport Req..
28-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-2016
I’m taking the test ASAP. Just wanted to ask about anything that I should be aware of. Like there is this Norton antivirus that comes up with the laptop. Would that cause trouble? The laptop only had like Microsoft edge etc so I downloaded google chrome. Anything else, what do you think? Thanks!
Make sure it does have a camera and disable any VPN connections if there's any. Other than that, nothing to worry about. Take it easy and good luck!

Reactions: DejavuCA

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Make sure it does have a camera and disable any VPN connections if there's any. Other than that, nothing to worry about. Take it easy and good luck!
And make sure you turn off notifications and don't open new tabs or click outside your browser tab during the test.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I guess also from a recent experience here, make sure your webcam doesn’t use the mirror image by default. Some webcam settings/drivers do this.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I hope you have Adobe Acrobat installed to go through the test instructions and once you begin your test you may close it.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Is this that of the windows OS of the laptop/pc?
Yes. Open Focus Assist and set it to "Alarms Only" and turn off any alarms in your PC. Also, you might want to disable anti-virus notifications OR disable the anti-virus altogether so that you don't get any popups when you are taking the test.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
I guess also from a recent experience here, make sure your webcam doesn’t use the mirror image by default. Some webcam settings/drivers do this.
Did you submit your ID that is a mirrored image? Did CIC make you retake the test? I use Mac and can’t seem to change the setting and in some apps the images are mirrored.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Did you submit your ID that is a mirrored image? Did CIC make you retake the test? I use Mac and can’t seem to change the setting and in some apps the images are mirrored.
No. I was talking about you actually lol. :)

I also used a Mac for my test, and my image was submitted normally.

IMO it's not a big deal, hopefully the officer is tech savvy enough to use the built in photo viewer to mirror the image.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
No. I was talking about you actually lol. :)

I also used a Mac for my test, and my image was submitted normally.

IMO it's not a big deal, hopefully the officer is tech savvy enough to use the built in photo viewer to mirror the image.
Ok lol. Seems like cic software will help flip the image. If not, I don’t think it’s a big deal either.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Ok lol. Seems like cic software will help flip the image. If not, I don’t think it’s a big deal either.
I tried it in a laptop (Windows) and the image appeared mirrored BEFORE clicking the photo. However, the image looked all okay to me AFTER the photo was clicked. I'm talking about the picture of my ID. Still, decided to take the test on a different machine and I ended up taking my test using a Windows desktop. The image of myself appeared flipped but after I clicked the picture of myself, everything was okay. Test was set to completed.

Reactions: Georgesand

DejavuCA

Star Member
Jun 17, 2021
Damn okay I am about to take the test and now Im more confused, what do you even mean by mirrored image? This is a new laptop so I hope nothing will mess things up all of a sudden.

Nadia08

Jun 16, 2021
Hello Folks,

please advise, if I need to put the renewal application for PR while citizenship application is in process?
My PR is expiring next April , according to renewal process we need to apply prior to 8 months. So I’m wondering if I still need to apply!
Citizenship application sent in June 2020 and test is completed in June 2021.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
Damn okay I am about to take the test and now Im more confused, what do you even mean by mirrored image? This is a new laptop so I hope nothing will mess things up all of a sudden.
Im sure everything will be fine! Don’t worry about the mirror image lol

good luck with your test.