+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a job offer but CTC is very Less

pavithra5586

Mar 11, 2011
Hello all,

I got a job offer from a company based out of Montreal, Quebec.

I am having 4 years of IT Experience in India ; Skills are Click Software and C# .net. The position offered was Technical Consultant.

I had been offered a gross salary of CAD 35000 and the accommodation will be provided by the company itself.

I feel that CAD 35000 will be too less and I will be getting only around CAD 25000 after the deductions.

One more question - What will be the cost of living in Montreal and Would I be able to save (as I am from India), as I would be getting only CAD 25000 after the deductions.

So I asked for a salary revision and got a reply as:

The total yearly package was split as follows:

Base Salary: $35,000

Bonus: $3,500

Paid furnished house/apartment: $14,400

Legal fees and relocation costs: $9,000 -----> This should be borne by the company itself i believe and not to be included in the salary package.

Total value $61,900

we are open to review the split of the yearly package. One possibility would be to increase the base salary to $49,400 however you would be responsible for the apartment/house expenses.

In this scenario, what would be the ideal salary. Also we have to sign a 2 year Service Level agreement with the company.

Regards,
Pavithra

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
You did not mention your profession and what job you are offered. However, as a beginner in Canada, the offered salary is not bad as you will be getting a paid furnished accommodation. If I know your skills and position offered, a further more suggestion could be possible.

schwarzeradler

Mar 10, 2010
pavithra5586 said:
Hello all,

I got a job offer from a company based out of Montreal, Quebec.

I have 4 years of Experience in India and I had been offered a gross salary of CAD 35000 and the accommodation will be provided by the company itself.

I feel that CAD 35000 will be too less and I will be getting only around CAD 25000 after the deductions.
So I asked for a salary revision and got a reply as:

The total yearly package was split as follows:

Base Salary: $35,000

Bonus: $3,500

Paid furnished house/apartment: $14,400

Legal fees and relocation costs: $9,000 -----> This should be borne by the company itself i believe and not to be included in the salary package.

Total value $61,900

we are open to review the split of the yearly package. One possibility would be to increase the base salary to $49,400 however you would be responsible for the apartment/house expenses.

In this scenario, what would be the ideal salary. Also we have to sign a 2 year Service Level agreement with the company.

Regards,
Pavithra
That's about £16,000.00( British Pounds) Net Man. Peanuts, but i guess for Canada (Quebec) that may be the right Salary depending on the post and your profession.
However, for a "kick-start" that doesn't seem to be too bad, especially when they are giving you some relocation fee plus, paid and furnished accommodation. It all depends on a few factors though, like your present situation, your family size etc etc. If I were a Bachelor ( without Burden's) I'll go for it, but then that is me.

Good Luck.

pavithra5586

Mar 11, 2011
Hello Wilson,

I am having 4 years of IT Experience in Click Software and C# .net. The position offered was Technical Consultant.

One more question - What will be the cost of living in Montreal and Would I be able to save (as I am from India), as I would be getting only CAD 25000 after the deductions.

Regards,
Pavithra.

tasmac

Star Member
Feb 1, 2010
pavithra...

take it . ... once you settle and get a hang on things ... you can always change .. there is no bond...... great job and good luck

ps ... better than working at 8$/hr when you land ...

take the accommodation offer as well.. it will be good atleast better and you dont have to search as soon as you land ...someone already has it ready ... sure it is cheaper to find your own apt but for starters this is gold :)

manish82

Jul 2, 2010
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-01-2010
Doc's Request.
03-03-2010
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
05-07-2010
IELTS Request
Cleared : Apr'10 with 7.5 bands
File Transfer...
10-03-2010
Med's Request
31-01-2011 (Dated 20-01-2011)
Med's Done....
02-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2011 (Dated 20-01-2011)
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-07-2011
Pavithra,

sorry I do not have answer to your question.. But rather have a question.. like how you managed to find the offer being in India..
If you can show your approach many like me can follow the same..

- Manish

pavithra5586 said:
Thanks for your reply. I also have to sign a 2 year Service Level agreement with the company.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following is totally my thoughts on this, so take it with a grain of salt, as usual.

Base Salary: $35,000 after tax: ~28000 = 2333.33 per month
If you are single, your total living including rent ($700), is $1300 (MAX, if you are not driving), $1500 if you are driving. So you will be able to save ~$1000 per month.
If you are moving with family and if you have dependents, add $600 per dependent per month.

Bonus: $3,500 is this guaranteed? if not don't count on it
Paid furnished house/apartment: $14,400 This is like a $1200 house. Get a detailed things of what are there, what are not there, what is needed, and how much of a freedom you will have. for $1200 you should not pay any bill incl, phone, cable, internet and any utilities, and your house better be something that has all luxury. Once you get the details, reply here, lets see if it is really worth it. the best part is, this is good, you will not have to pay taxes on this 144. I don't think you would be willing to share a room with someone after paying $1200? I am paying $800 for a full 800 sq ft apartment. If you have full freedom, add someone as your roommate, you will make half of it.
Legal fees and relocation costs: $9,000 this is why they ask for 2 yr contract. I signed 1.5 yrs when i came in! -----> This should be borne by the company itself i believe and not to be included in the salary package.
Total value $61,900

So the max you would save, living comfortably with $400 for your personal expenses like beer/party/pizza/movies etc, is $1500 (if you have a roommate).

anuM

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-02-2010
Doc's Request.
18-03-2010, full docs reached 20 may 2010
AOR Received.
08-10-2010, inprocess with rbvo details march 22, 2011
IELTS Request
done, sent with all docs
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
2 feb 2012
Med's Done....
14 feb 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
24 feb 2012
VISA ISSUED...
march 2012
LANDED..........
april 8 2012
thats sounds about right.. i have a similar package.. stated at 45k then moved up to 61k but with the legal fees included in my salary calculation...
2 year commitment sounds ok, because thats the time it might take to process your immigration file, but quebec applicants do seem to get their PR faster than other provinces..

mcboy advice seems brilliant.. u stand to make a lot more by renting out half of the apt as opposed to getting your own place and paying taxes on the same amount.

after raise this year , i find after taxes i'm not making that much more, and my refund is not going to be as great as it was when i was making 29 the first year ( from june to dec) ....

so near all the in mind.. if you are judicious with how much u spend on groceries and hanging out with friends, ur looking to save a decent amount of money.. and look at it from a long term perspective.. when u r free of the bond, u have ur papers, and 2 years of canadian experience and you can move on to abtter job.. shouldnt be hard to move up.. expect to make between 65k - 75k when u make your first jump..

hope this helps.. trust me i know how frustrating it can feel to be underpaid.. but its all for a better future.. and now u know u arent the only one going through this situation .. i've heard horror stories of people with canadian degrees having a hard time finding jobs.. u've done the hardest bit already!!! u have a job.. and montreal is soooo much fun ..

sapanaB

Apr 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
23-07-2010
AOR Received.
04-01-2011
MCBoy said:
The following is totally my thoughts on this, so take it with a grain of salt, as usual.

Base Salary: $35,000 after tax: ~28000 = 2333.33 per month
If you are single, your total living including rent ($700), is $1300 (MAX, if you are not driving), $1500 if you are driving. So you will be able to save ~$1000 per month.
If you are moving with family and if you have dependents, add $600 per dependent per month.

Bonus: $3,500 is this guaranteed? if not don't count on it
Paid furnished house/apartment: $14,400 This is like a $1200 house. Get a detailed things of what are there, what are not there, what is needed, and how much of a freedom you will have. for $1200 you should not pay any bill incl, phone, cable, internet and any utilities, and your house better be something that has all luxury. Once you get the details, reply here, lets see if it is really worth it. the best part is, this is good, you will not have to pay taxes on this 144. I don't think you would be willing to share a room with someone after paying $1200? I am paying $800 for a full 800 sq ft apartment. If you have full freedom, add someone as your roommate, you will make half of it.
Legal fees and relocation costs: $9,000 this is why they ask for 2 yr contract. I signed 1.5 yrs when i came in! -----> This should be borne by the company itself i believe and not to be included in the salary package.
Total value $61,900

So the max you would save, living comfortably with $400 for your personal expenses like beer/party/pizza/movies etc, is $1500 (if you have a roommate).
The breakup given above is perfect.. I was staying in toronto in 2008 and the expenses were roughly same except the rent part I was paying CAD 850 for a furnished apartment.

Also one more thing plz. do not start thinking of big savings right from the start. first look to establish yourself gain some local experience live comfortably and then after you have gained some local exp. you can demand the salary that you think is appropriate for you as per market standards.

Remember you are going there as a permanent resident and not on work permit where you look to save as much as you can so as to use that money back here in India. so you have to establish yourself there and not look towards big savings right from start (it would be the best thing if you can do both). So even if you are able to live comfortably without saving much money in the initial phase, go for it. but this purely my personal opinion.

All the best.

Sapana

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
pavithra5586 said:
Thanks for your reply. I also have to sign a 2 year Service Level agreement with the company.
If you are not married, and willing to come out of your home country, this offer is okay....
You can think it as an opportunity to migrate to Canada...

it is not good salary, but after two year you will get nice salary...

pavithra5586

Mar 11, 2011
Hello all,

Many thanks for the replies. I did a bit of negotiation with them.

The CTC has been revised to CAD 60000 gross ( CAD 55000 wil b fixed and bonus CAD 5000 to be paid at the end of year.

Accomodation will be give only for one month, after that I need to take care of it.

What would you suggest in this case?

Regards,
Pavithra.

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's the standard (starting). That's cool. One month they paying for your stay is super. In one month, you can find a PG or a sharing place for $400 (all inclusive). Your expenses will be $1000 all inclusive (single). Total in hand would be ~3600 per month. So the rest is in your pocket. Good Luck!

pavithra5586

Mar 11, 2011
Hello all,

Thanks for the Replies. I got the break up from them as below:

Gross - $2115.34
QPP (Quebec Pension Plan) - $98.05
EI (Employment Insurance) - $29.83
QPIP (Quebec Parental Insurance Plan) - $11.36
Federal Tax - $224.25
Provincial Tax - $273.11
Your net bi-weekly pay will be $1478.74

MCBoy said:
That's the standard (starting). That's cool. One month they paying for your stay is super. In one month, you can find a PG or a sharing place for $400 (all inclusive). Your expenses will be $1000 all inclusive (single). Total in hand would be ~3600 per month. So the rest is in your pocket. Good Luck!