+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a job offer 5 weeks after landing [link corrected]

financepk

Sep 15, 2007
I have written a long post with some external links and a snapshot on how I was lucky enough to get a job offer five weeks after landing. You can find it here
https://oilandrealestate.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/landing-my-first-job-as-a-recent-immigrant-to-canada/

In summary, it was all down to "networking". Good luck with your job search.

muhzahid

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London (VO VCM)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF paid on 07-Aug-2015
Nomination.....
PER dated 18-Feb-2015
Med's Request
03-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Aug-2015 (3rd line updated on 15-Oct-2015)//Re-medical on 19-Sep-2016
Passport Req..
AlhamdoLillah, on 03-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
[b]AlhamdoLillah, on 25-Oct-2016[/b]
LANDED..........
[b]AlhamdoLillah, on 07-Feb-2017[/b]
Re: Got a job offer 5 weeks after landing

financepk said:
I have written a long post with some external links and a snapshot on how I was lucky enough to get a job offer five weeks after landing. You can find it here
https://wordpress.com/post/oilandrealestate.wordpress.com/25

In summary, it was all down to "networking". Good luck with your job search.
Bro your above given link requires unsername and password to open.

Please check that and give the correct link.

Regards,

financepk

Sep 15, 2007

Sorry about that.. here is the correct link

https://oilandrealestate.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/landing-my-first-job-as-a-recent-immigrant-to-canada/

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

financepk said:

nice work +1

muhzahid

Sep 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London (VO VCM)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF paid on 07-Aug-2015
Nomination.....
PER dated 18-Feb-2015
Med's Request
03-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Aug-2015 (3rd line updated on 15-Oct-2015)//Re-medical on 19-Sep-2016
Passport Req..
AlhamdoLillah, on 03-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
[b]AlhamdoLillah, on 25-Oct-2016[/b]
LANDED..........
[b]AlhamdoLillah, on 07-Feb-2017[/b]

financepk said:

Thank you bro for the correction and your guidance.

Regards,

financepk

Sep 15, 2007
I have been getting some private messages to how to get through to online applications, this is what I have been told:

I have been told Canadian hiring managers look at three things on your CV for initial screening:

1. Address: if your address on the CV is of a different city or country, the CV goes to the recycle bin

Next step:

2. Job experience: if all your experience is outside Canada, your CV goes to the recycle bin. [if they don't get any other CVs, you may have a chance]

Next step:

3. Degree/Qualification: a friend did his MBA from Pakistan and subsequently did Canadian CPA. The recruiter told him that even after CPA, we also look at your undergrad degree. If its all foreign institutions, your CV goes to recycle bin.

Aforementioned is mainly applicable if you are applying online as your CV has to compete with hundreds of other CVs. However, if you go through networking or a headhunter, this may not be such a big deal.

Good luck

rehoboth14

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-14
Nomination.....
29-10-14
Med's Request
10-06-2016
Passport Req..
N/A Just copy of info page
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-16
Thanks for sharing your experience. I really enjoyed the article. Detailed and informative.

Good job!

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Useful post, food for thought for the future :)

+1

ok3

Star Member
Aug 12, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-06-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
25-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2016
LANDED..........
Great article.

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
There are jobs in every country if you have the skills which are actually in demand. Turning up to Canada with generic IT skills and expecting employers to be fighting over you at the airport is asinine, and people who have these ridiculous expectations are most likely the exact people who post things like "there are no jobs so don't come here!!". Judging by the posts on this website, a lot of people from outside Europe and the Americas seem to drastically overestimate the value of their labour in the face of western competition. Labour markets in the west are far more competitive than basically anywhere in the middle east/India.

financepk

Sep 15, 2007
I tend to disagree that Labor market in Canada is more competitive. Labor market in Silicon Valley and even other US cities is very competitive and yet there are many Chinese, Indians, other non Western people doing well over there. Anyway, the purpose of my writing this was to help people if I can and not to engage in arguments.

The challenge is mainly faced by people who come through the Skilled Workers program. To them qualifying for Skilled Worker means that there jobs are in demand in Canada. However, once they come over here, they find it hard to navigate the job market. To give an example, Canada has the most plain vanilla banking in the world with all the exotic stuff handled by New York branches of the local chartered banks. Yet Canadian bankers pretend as if doing rocket science whereas they are just following procedures most of the time sans any creativity. I have seen people remove their qualifications and achievements from CV to land a job in Canadian banks because the hiring manager deems them over achiever or over qualified for the canadian job market.

rubinderjit

Sep 21, 2015
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
financepk said:
I tend to disagree that Labor market in Canada is more competitive. Labor market in Silicon Valley and even other US cities is very competitive and yet there are many Chinese, Indians, other non Western people doing well over there. Anyway, the purpose of my writing this was to help people if I can and not to engage in arguments.

The challenge is mainly faced by people who come through the Skilled Workers program. To them qualifying for Skilled Worker means that there jobs are in demand in Canada. However, once they come over here, they find it hard to navigate the job market. To give an example, Canada has the most plain vanilla banking in the world with all the exotic stuff handled by New York branches of the local chartered banks. Yet Canadian bankers pretend as if doing rocket science whereas they are just following procedures most of the time sans any creativity. I have seen people remove their qualifications and achievements from CV to land a job in Canadian banks because the hiring manager deems them over achiever or over qualified for the canadian job market.
It's really a great and very informative article. Keep sharing more such insights.

jamezmoran

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Med's Done....
16-11-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
financepk said:

Speaking from experience, labour markets outside of the west are not nearly as competitive and generally the standard of worker in those countries is generally significantly lower. Yes of course there are plenty of Indian/Chinese/etc workers in western countries doing just fine, but they tend to be very highly skilled and generally people with those skills don't put up with wages in say India where the work focus is more about doing relatively low skilled jobs for cheap. In my last company, a Senior Software Engineer in Hyderabad was not even remotely close to the same level of expertise as a Senior Software Engineer in say London. Which I why I say that in general people from these countries may get a culture shock when they enter an actual western labour market which has far higher standards of labour. And I'm really not interested if you're not willing to engage in "argument", you're absolutely free to leave my posts unchallenged.

rubinderjit

Sep 21, 2015
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jamezmoran said:
Speaking from experience, labour markets outside of the west are not nearly as competitive and generally the standard of worker in those countries is generally significantly lower. Yes of course there are plenty of Indian/Chinese/etc workers in western countries doing just fine, but they tend to be very highly skilled and generally people with those skills don't put up with wages in say India where the work focus is more about doing relatively low skilled jobs for cheap. In my last company, a Senior Software Engineer in Hyderabad was not even remotely close to the same level of expertise as a Senior Software Engineer in say London. Which I why I say that in general people from these countries may get a culture shock when they enter an actual western labour market which has far higher standards of labour. And I'm really not interested if you're not willing to engage in "argument", you're absolutely free to leave my posts unchallenged.
Hey buddy you should also post your advice and analysis of getting the job faster in Canada.

Let's appreciate the hard work done by somebody!!
Everybody has his/her own views and beliefs. I belive that it is very difficult to compare one system with other and just one or two parameters and instances cannot be used to generalize.

chinmoong

Jun 12, 2013
hello senior,

I just got my trade certificate of qualification(Telecom Technician) from Ontario and also qualification certificate license for child care from Alberta government.

I got two diffirent skills - 1 is child care
2 is Telecom technical skills

Currently I still at Malaysia and would like to know with my both Canada license, what is my chance to secure job in Canada?

Regards,
Lee