+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods To Follow Questions (COVID)

May 12, 2020
Hello all,

I am moving in a few weeks to Canada as a new PR. Of course I can't fit all of my belongings in my flight luggage. I will have 2-3 parcels to send at a later date. As far as I understand, I will have a BSF186 filled out for the items I will be bringing during my arrival. And then several BSF186A slips, one or more for each of the parcels I plan to send in the future.

My questions are:
1) Is the above process, correct so far?
2) Do I email and have people print the corresponding stamped BSF186A's and put it on the parcels sent with a standard courier (eg fedex, ups...) to Canada?
3) Are there any additional steps to #2? I read that people need to go to customs office to clear these parcels themselves? is that true? and if so, are they even open during COVID era?

Thanks so much for your time, cheers. :cool:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) No, BSF186A is just a continuation of BSF186 form which should be submit together when you meet the customs officer at the airport. The customs will stamp the form until your shipment is completed.
2) Upon each shipment arrival, you (in-person or by representative) go to the nearest customs office and present the two stamped forms to clear customs
3) see above and check with the customs officer with regards to each office' business hour during the pandemic.

enigma_2012

Nov 12, 2012
Hi all. I will be moving from Australia to Canada some time next year. I want to know whether it will be cost effective to move cloths and other personal items from Australia to Canada. I did read the responses for this question but did not get clarity whether it is cost effective.
Please note I don't want to move furniture, bulky household stuff. I will move clothes and small personal belongings via ship. Thanks for your kind response in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all. I will be moving from Australia to Canada some time next year. I want to know whether it will be cost effective to move cloths and other personal items from Australia to Canada. I did read the responses for this question but did not get clarity whether it is cost effective.
Please note I don't want to move furniture, bulky household stuff. I will move clothes and small personal belongings via ship. Thanks for your kind response in advance.
1. Compare what the stuff you intend to ship is worth and the cost of shipping. Then decide if it would be cheaper to buy the stuff in Canada.
2. Personal items consider shipping them with you as cargo.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will move clothes and small personal belongings via ship. Thanks for your kind response in advance.
As the other response had it: depends how much and cost of shipping. My guess is that you won't find it to be cost-effective, but get a quote.

Other options: you may find it more cost effective to just pay for excess baggage. If it's eg an extra couple large suitcases, quite likely the simplest and most cost effective.

In most cases paying for the next class up of travel (eg business) will give you a bigger baggage allowance - probably not worth it just for the extra baggage but on a very long flight business is a lot more comfortable, too.