+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to Follow List- How much detail?

bluesky10

Jan 28, 2021
How detailed does the "Goods to Follow" list need to be? Can I just write "furniture" with a $$ value or do I need to itemize each individual piece of furniture? I plan to itemize electronics, jewelry, and anything with a serial number. I will be moving a 3 bedroom house in a Uhaul and want to make the list as simple as possible. Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We had our stuff shipped so can't say will be same - but they were happy with detail at level of boxes (eg Kitchen dishes and implements ... $amount). I think this approach of items by eg size and packaging should generally work. (Furniture I would do by individual items unless small)

CBSA will insist on an amount but for normal household goods does not seem that exercised about detail. We wrote our dollar amounts by hand on the forms upon arrival.

I do not know about eg high value items and specific types of goods. We did itemize eg some cameras and other with serial #s.

bluesky10

Jan 28, 2021
We had our stuff shipped so can't say will be same - but they were happy with detail at level of boxes (eg Kitchen dishes and implements ... $amount). I think this approach of items by eg size and packaging should generally work. (Furniture I would do by individual items unless small)

CBSA will insist on an amount but for normal household goods does not seem that exercised about detail. We wrote our dollar amounts by hand on the forms upon arrival.

I do not know about eg high value items and specific types of goods. We did itemize eg some cameras and other with serial #s.
Thank you! Also, for estimating $ value, did you go by what it could be sold for used?

alokdida

Nov 7, 2021
Can you please share the format or sample document for it?

I am planning to do soft landing. What should I provide a response to this question "How long do you plan to stay in Canada?" ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can you please share the format or sample document for it?

I am planning to do soft landing. What should I provide a response to this question "How long do you plan to stay in Canada?" ?
I do not understand. If you are doing soft landing with no intent to stay/no specific timeframe, why would you be sending goods to follow?

alokdida

Nov 7, 2021
I do not understand. If you are doing soft landing with no intent to stay/no specific timeframe, why would you be sending goods to follow?
@armoured As per this, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

Essential documents
To enter Canada, you’ll need:
  • a Canadian immigrant visa (if this applies)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member traveling with you
  • a valid passport or other travel document for each family member traveling with you
  • two copies each of:
    • a detailed list of all the personal or household items you’re bringing with you
    • a list of items that are arriving later and their money value

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
  • two copies each of:
    • a detailed list of all the personal or household items you’re bringing with you
    • a list of items that are arriving later and their money value
The point is, if you're not bringing with you anything you are planning to leave in Canada, and not sending anything to arrive separately, you have nothing to report. Although you'll do the landing process, tell them you're not moving permanently until later.

alokdida

Nov 7, 2021
The point is, if you're not bringing with you anything you are planning to leave in Canada, and not sending anything to arrive separately, you have nothing to report. Although you'll do the landing process, tell them you're not moving permanently until later.
Thank you. If they ask, how long you are going to stay in Canada? Should I say a couple of days?

Muthu04

Jan 27, 2022
Hi.. I will be bringing some spices,Kitchen utensils and kitchen appliance for my personal use as a new immigrant in my check-in luggage. Do I have to declare that.