+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to follow confusion.

Oct 21, 2009
Hello all, I am new to this community and am hoping to find a little help with my situation here :)

I moved from Texas to Montreal with my newly wedded husband (who is a native Montrealer) about 2 and half weeks ago. We drove my car up to Canada, full of my personal belongings. After about an hour at the border they let me through with a 3 months visitor's visa and I intend to become a permanent resident through my husband's sponsorship.

Now, my parents are shipping a load of my personal belongings to Plattsburgh NY. The idea is that it would be cheaper to send it there, and have myself or my husband (or anyone else) pick it up and take it across the border. I understand if I cross the border with my visitor's visa, I may not be able to re-enter Canada. So, my question is in 3 parts:

1. Would I just fill out a B4-A form, give it to the border personnel, and have someone else pick up the items without me having to take the risk of crossing the border?

2. Does my visitor's visa status effect my ability to import personal belongings?

3. Because I did not have a B4 form filled out as I crossed the border the first time, do I need to submit one for the things I have already brought into Canada?

I would appreciate any help. I have been researching the cic.gc.ca site, and I just need some personalized advice. Also, what would be a good number to call? I dialed the help line provided on the site, but it seems to be all automated...where can I go to speak to a real human?

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Very strange about the visa, are you not a US citizen?

Who can import personal belongings - "Settler, Former Resident, Seasonal Resident, or Beneficiary". So, no, a visitor cannot.

Many of your questions will be better answered by the Canada Border Services Agency, and unlike CIC, you can actually get a real human on the phone who is willing and able to answer questions.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

You would be best served to wait on importing your belongings until you get your residence permit. At the time you re-enter or "land" to establish residence, you can either bring your goods with you, or submit the "goods to follow" list at that time - they will give you a form that you need when you bring your goods over the border (or if you have an agent do it, they need it to cross the border, and you need it to claim your goods at customs).

As for moving your stuff, yes, sending to Plattsburgh and driving it up is one option. Another is ABF U-Pack moving, they do cross-border moves into Canada and cost about 1/2 of other moving companies... I used them, it worked out well for me.
http://www.upack.com/