+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good News - International students can now do 100% of studies online and still get PGWP

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can complete 100% of your studies online from outside Canada (and all the time studied online will be counted towards PGWP).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#pgwp-outside-canada
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/international-stud
You can complete 100% of your studies online from outside Canada (and all the time studied online will be counted towards PGWP).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#pgwp-outside-canada
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/02/international-students-can-now-do-100-of-studies-online-and-still-get-pgwp-0217151.html

It's time to stop worrying when colleges will start reopening. Good luck everyone!

ents-can-now-do-100-of-studies-online-and-still-get-pgwp-0217151.html

It's time to stop worrying when colleges will start reopening. Good luck everyone!
You are not quoting a government website. I would only trust information posted on the government website.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With the rate the vaccination is going currently, and the new variants spreading, I think colleges might not reopen in the coming fall.
Impossible to predict. Really depends on whether there are new variants that aren't covered by the vaccines and what the level of vaccination is in Canada. It may be possible for domestic students to return but whether proof of vaccination will be required is unknown. There will need to be other policies for international students. Things like hotel quarantine may be required but there wouldn't be enough spaces, whether someone is vaccinated may be a factor, etc. Too early to predict what will happen so far away.

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
Impossible to predict. Really depends on whether there are new variants that aren't covered by the vaccines and what the level of vaccination is in Canada. It may be possible for domestic students to return but whether proof of vaccination will be required is unknown. There will need to be other policies for international students. Things like hotel quarantine may be required but there wouldn't be enough spaces, whether someone is vaccinated may be a factor, etc. Too early to predict what will happen so far away.
I think they're on track to reopen starting January 2022, as they've stated in their policy update the following:
Time spent studying outside Canada after December 31, 2021, won’t count towards the length of a PGWP.

That unless they make another update if things don't go as planned. And yeah if more people get vaccinated and the cases continue to drop, they would definitely look into reopening colleges again. All speculations for now though.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think they're on track to reopen starting January 2022, as they've stated in their policy update the following:
Time spent studying outside Canada after December 31, 2021, won’t count towards the length of a PGWP.

That unless they make another update if things don't go as planned. And yeah if more people get vaccinated and the cases continue to drop, they would definitely look into reopening colleges again. All speculations for now though.
They just keep updating and moving the dates later. They know that schools are unlikely to open for Fall but there is still hope for Winter 2022. Depending on what's going on in the Fall we should have an update for 2022. For example the US/Canada land border closure has been extended numerous times.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada

It's old news. At least mine is still up for Spring 2021 (in-person and open) despite the extension. This update is practically useful for the ones still waiting for a final decision other than that it's unclear regarding the 50% part for CRS points as the minimum 8 months criteria inside Canada is necessary. I wouldn't trust IRCC with their volatile rules and suggest you to enter Canada as soon as possible if you have in-person classes.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Online learning is hectic with irregular timing schedules, no access to library, connections and especially if you are a thesis student its bad. May save a tiny amount regarding living expenses up to 5 months which is minuscule and risky if a new wave of covid-19 is unleashed making travel difficult i.e increased quarantine prices.

Sophia Choi

May 7, 2018
Thank you for sharing. I have one question btw. Would it eligible for applying PGWP without having a valid study permit then?
Because the international students will complete the course outside of Canada, which means they don't have any chance to validate the study permit.

Sheena87

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
Can someone please help me out here? I don't see anywhere that 100% online studies from home country will count towards PGWP...