+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good news for people who have been in the US for more then 5 years

pokha69

Star Member
Jan 31, 2008
Save America Comprehensive Immigration Act of 2009 (Introduced in House) :

If this bill is passed then guys who are in the US for more than Five years will get a Green Card..
But the chances are pretty slim to get this bill passed in this economy. However, you never know becasue R.Regan's Blanket Amnesty was passed during economic crisis and poor stock market.

But Canadian Immigration still remains priority for us unless the bill passes pretty quick...
what do you guys think?????

pokha69

Star Member
Jan 31, 2008
Here is the link:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h264/show
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h264/text

Read 501...

SEC. 501. EARNED ACCESS TO LEGALIZATION.

(a) In General- Chapter 5 of title II (8 U.S.C. 1255 et seq.) is amended by inserting after section 245A the following:

`ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS ON THE BASIS OF EARNED ACCESS TO LEGALIZATION

`Sec. 245B. (a) In General- The Secretary of Homeland Security may adjust the status of an alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if the alien--

`(1) was physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date on which this provision was enacted and has maintained continuous physical presence since then;

`(2) has at all times been a person of good moral character;

`(3) has never been convicted of a criminal offense in the United States;

`(4) in the case of an alien who is 18 years of age or older, but who is not over the age of 65, has successfully completed a course on reading, writing, and speaking words in ordinary usage in the English language, unless unable to do so on account of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment;

`(5) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has accepted the values and cultural life of the United States; and

`(6) in the case of an alien 18 years of age or older, has performed at least 40 hours of community service.

`(b) Treatment of Brief, Casual, and Innocent Absences- An alien shall not be considered to have failed to maintain a continuous presence in the United States for purposes of subsection (a)(1) by virtue of brief, casual, and innocent absences from the United States.

`(c) Admissible as Immigrant-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The alien shall establish that the alien is admissible to the United States as immigrant, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2).

`(2) EXCEPTIONS- The provisions of paragraphs (5), (6)(A), (6)(B), (6)(C), (6)(F), (6)(G), (7)(A), (9)(B), and (9)(C)(i)(I) of section 212(a) shall not apply in the determination of an alien's admissibility under this section.

`(d) Security and Law Enforcement Clearances- The alien, if over 15 years of age, shall submit fingerprints in accordance with procedures established by the Secretary of Homeland Security. Such fingerprints shall be submitted to relevant Federal agencies to be checked against existing databases for information relating to criminal, national security, or other law enforcement actions that would render the alien ineligible for adjustment of status under this section. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall provide a process for challenging the accuracy of matches that result in a finding of ineligibility for adjustment of status.

`(e) Inapplicability of Numerical Limitations- When an alien is granted lawful permanent resident status under this subsection, the number of immigrant visas authorized to be issued under any provision of this Act shall not be reduced. The numerical limitations of sections 201 and 202 shall not apply to adjustment of status under this section.

`(f) Termination of Proceedings- The Secretary of Homeland Security may terminate removal proceedings without prejudice pending the outcome of an alien's application for adjustment of status under this section on the basis of a prima facie showing of eligibility for relief under this section.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of contents is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 245A the following:

`Sec. 245B. Adjustment of status on the basis of earned access to legalization.'.

Reactions: Jules82

pokha69

Star Member
Jan 31, 2008
Yes thats true...its hard to get passed...I am just letting you guys know that the bill is on the way....
Looks like some miracle is needed to pass....anyways lets wait and see....

One more thing...when you read the contect it never says it's directed towards legal or illegal immigrant to the path of Green Card.. Folks read it and trhow your insights...
Cheers!!

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
If Obama turns the economy - he might become popular president like Reagan, then he might be able to push this bill. It would be same as what Reagan did in 1986.

But if Obama cant do that, then people in US wont let grant any kind of amnesty(that is what this bill is for people with > 5 years in US)

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I do not want to be pessimistic... but with all the millions of layoffs going on.... additionally I believe the congress included something in the stimulus package so companies that are receiving bail out money are not allowed to hire H1Bs....

sdesh005

Star Member
Feb 20, 2009
I think it only talks about illegal immigrants in the US.

Authorizes the Secretary to adjust the status of aliens who would otherwise be inadmissible (due to unlawful presence, document fraud, or other specified grounds of inadmissibility) if such aliens have been in the United States for at least five years and meet other requirements.

So as usual, illegals are ahead in the line to PR as compared to legals here in the States - pathetic!

akk

Sep 2, 2008
I've heard about this proposition years ago...That illegal people with more than 5 years in US would receive residence, and people from 2-5 years would have to go to the border to ask to apply, people with less than 2 years would have to leave..
This proposition didn't pass in good old times....Do you want to know when this proposition will pass with the actual economic situation???
The answer is never!.

Akk

sdesh005 said:
I think it only talks about illegal immigrants in the US.

Authorizes the Secretary to adjust the status of aliens who would otherwise be inadmissible (due to unlawful presence, document fraud, or other specified grounds of inadmissibility) if such aliens have been in the United States for at least five years and meet other requirements.

So as usual, illegals are ahead in the line to PR as compared to legals here in the States - pathetic!

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
Guys immigration in US will only become more tough. There are open advertisements on CNN and Foxnews funded by private US worker organizations to stop foriegn workers. Public opinion is going against H1B nomatter how much US need us or not. People are emailing and faxing on their senators websites to stop H1B and this is not India were you dont even know how to contact your senator. If senator is pressurized by its constituents, they act accordingly. USCIS is issuing record number of RFE due to gulti consultants and I would guess days of H1B are numbered. No new extensions, more RFE's, etc I am being pessimistic here but if you see CNN(I am laidoff and watch lot of TV noadays along wit job searc) you will know how much people have started to hate us.

sirsmak

Star Member
Jan 19, 2009
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2010 (CIC)
Med's Request
06-02-2010
Med's Done....
11-02-2010
Passport Req..
November 3rd
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2010
LANDED..........
Landed; Feb 06, 2011
Do you think these five years may include even if you were on F1 status for 5 years and then switched to H1b ....? I know to think about these things could be like building castles in the clouds but still there is no harm in hoping for good... right?

Mike053

Feb 9, 2009
sirsmak said:
Do you think these five years may include even if you were on F1 status for 5 years and then switched to H1b ....? I know to think about these things could be like building castles in the clouds but still there is no harm in hoping for good... right?
5 years mean any visa including "no visa" i.e. illegals. Basically this bill is meant for 13 million illegals, legals like us are just 'join us'.

abcabc

Feb 23, 2009
Dear Sirs/Madams,

With reference to your previous message about the bill "HR264", actually only one section of the whole bill talking about granting PR for people who have been in the US for more than 5 years and I strongly believe that this bill cannot be passed so easily especially right now in the economic crisis.

A few days ago, I accidentally found a website http://www.numbersusa.com talking about the US immigration news, there are some people set the bills to suggest the elimination of both the family chain migration and diversity visa lottery in the future. Also, they have news about the recent H-1B visa frauds and someone suggests that to eliminate the H-1B visas may be good for rescuring unemployment rate in US right now for their citizens or permanent residents and at the same time to avoid the H-1B visa frauds.

Also, the bill "HR264" has so many items inside and "granting the PR status for people who have been in US for more than 5 years" is not standing alone. So passing all items in this one bill is very difficult I think.

You can imagine if it really granting PR status for people who have been in US for more than 5 years, I think most international students fit this criteria and so many people (maybe millions of them) will get the green card. I think SUPPOSE the bill becomes the law, based on my personal opinion, I do believe it is fair for every of this type of applicant brings money to US for immigration fee and this maybe better for the economic crisis. In some other websites, someone said that SUPPOSE legalize illegal aliens, if each illegal alien gives US$5000 for immigration entry fee, about US$600 billions will be inflow to the economy. So I guess the international students may need to give more because the US$5000 is a conservative estimation and international students pay expensive tuition fee in US, so maybe the immigration entry fee will be higher (from my personal opinion). But all these may not come true. This is only my dream. Do you agree with me????

Also, when I see the alberta ANIP program (fast immigration) for H-1B visa holders from US who have 1-year working experience, I wonder is there canada immigration program for people who have not gained the H-1B visa but having US degree and still want to immigrate to canada??? It is because I know someone cannot gain the H-1B visa because the visa quota is reached on that year and the next year the employer may not want to file the H-1B visa for the same employee due to merge of the company with the other company?? Also, right now getting the H-1B visa having tremendous difficulty even your employer want to sponsor you truly for jobs. So if without this H-1B, is it take longer time to immigrate to Canada, that's what I concern??????????

Thanks for everyone's attention!!
Yours Sincerely,
abcabc