+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good choices for education, some of them are free.

jrandom

Jul 19, 2014
Here are some personal experiences I have, in Vancouver, Canada.

Friend #1
She went to BCIT's Accounting school. It's 2 years, and you get job placement with KPMG afterwards.
She worked at KPMG making decent money until she got her full CPA then was hired by an oil company (in Vancouver) as a Financial Analyst.
Now she makes huge money working overseas in UK, Yemen, Iraqi Kurdistan, lot's of countries. All paid out of Canada and working for a Canadian company.

Friend #2
Went to Vancouver Film School for makeup. Works on major productions now, won an emmy.
Crazy demanding work since you have to get up before dawn and be on location 12-16hrs. Huge money and huge risk, film could disappear one day they tend to go wherever the cheapest cities are.

Friend #3
Came to Canada to take ESL. Got temp working permit to work at a hair salon that also taught her how to cut hair (Sukhi's hair academy) though being fashion industry should be prepared to be screamed at by Sukhi and put up with her zanyness. After graduation she works F/T in a hipster salon and does pretty well for herself. Got full citizenship and everything.

Friend #4
Took ESL. Got a job at the school teaching ESL. Promoted to management. Now runs his own school.

Me
Took free online computer science on coursera (google it) and MIT Open CourseWare.
Did the free online compsci book SICP (google it.. can't post links) and read book C Interfaces /Adv programming to hack Unix plus plenty of math.
Worked devops making $90k/yr first year, now making $200k/yr writing DSL's in CLISP for a small startup. I just built online portfolio on github and used it to apply to jobs.

If I was looking for an easy, well paying job I'd become a CPA/Accounting. Tons of work, doesn't matter if your english isn't perfect. Huge amount of foreign opportunities all based out of Canada esp in Oil/Gas industry.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
jrandom said:

Friend #1
She went to BCIT's Accounting school. It's 2 years, and you get job placement with KPMG afterwards.
She worked at KPMG making decent money until she got her full CPA then was hired by an oil company (in Vancouver) as a Financial Analyst.
Now she makes huge money working overseas in UK, Yemen, Iraqi Kurdistan, lot's of countries. All paid out of Canada and working for a Canadian company.

Friend #2
Went to Vancouver Film School for makeup. Works on major productions now, won an emmy.
Crazy demanding work since you have to get up before dawn and be on location 12-16hrs. Huge money and huge risk, film could disappear one day they tend to go wherever the cheapest cities are.

Friend #3
Came to Canada to take ESL. Got temp working permit to work at a hair salon that also taught her how to cut hair (Sukhi's hair academy) though being fashion industry should be prepared to be screamed at by Sukhi and put up with her zanyness. After graduation she works F/T in a hipster salon and does pretty well for herself. Got full citizenship and everything.

Friend #4
Took ESL. Got a job at the school teaching ESL. Promoted to management. Now runs his own school.

Me
Took free online computer science on coursera (google it) and MIT Open CourseWare.
Did the free online compsci book SICP (google it.. can't post links) and read book C Interfaces /Adv programming to hack Unix.
Worked devops making $90k/yr first year, now making $200k/yr writing DSL's in CLISP. I just built online portfolio on github and used it to apply to jobs.

If I was looking for an easy, well paying job I'd become a CPA/Accounting. Tons of work, doesn't matter if your english isn't perfect. Huge amount of foreign opportunities all based out of Canada esp in Oil/Gas industry.
+1 for you. What do you think prospects for psychologists in Canada, if you have any information?

jrandom

Jul 19, 2014
sharedknowledge said:
+1 for you. What do you think prospects for psychologists in Canada, if you have any information?
need a license, look up cpa(dot)ca the canadian psychological association has info on regulatory bodies that oversee foreign trained doctors
there's also plenty of community support workers, drug alcohol counsellors and what not jobs that don't need licensing.

yellowbellow

Star Member
Nov 6, 2013
jrandom said:

Friend #1

Friend #2

Friend #3

Friend #4

Me
Did the free online compsci book SICP (google it.. can't post links) and read book C Interfaces /Adv programming to hack Unix plus plenty of math.
Worked devops making $90k/yr first year, now making $200k/yr writing DSL's in CLISP for a small startup. I just built online portfolio on github and used it to apply to jobs.

your friend did the accounting diploma? this one: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/5740diplt