+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good area to settle around Toronto

Dreamz80

Feb 15, 2016
I will be moving to Canada with my 4 year old.
Which area(s) would be best to settle in the Toronto/Greater Toronto area?
I am looking at places which are safe, good schools and basically conducive for a young kid.
Looking forward to the suggestions.

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Hello

I think the North york or scarborough area would be economical and central at the same time !!

tc -- rgards

Sam

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Dreamz80 said:
I will be moving to Canada with my 4 year old.
Which area(s) would be best to settle in the Toronto/Greater Toronto area?
I am looking at places which are safe, good schools and basically conducive for a young kid.
Looking forward to the suggestions.
There are many good areas for young families in the Greater Toronto Area. Whereabouts will you be working? Is public transit important to you? Are you looking for a house, townhome or condo? Are you inclined to live amongst people from a certain background (cultural, religious, etc.), or are you not as focused on that? Do you prefer an urban or suburban setting? What sort of budget do you have?

All of these questions are important to determine which area or suburb may be best.

pradz

Feb 24, 2016
torontosm said:
There are many good areas for young families in the Greater Toronto Area. Whereabouts will you be working? Is public transit important to you? Are you looking for a house, townhome or condo? Are you inclined to live amongst people from a certain background (cultural, religious, etc.), or are you not as focused on that? Do you prefer an urban or suburban setting? What sort of budget do you have?

All of these questions are important to determine which area or suburb may be best.
torontosm I am having a dilemna. Im trying to rent a 1br room or studio in a condo as I dont want a basement apartment but I am unable to crack a deal with anyone as I am new PR without credit history and job letter. Whats the workaround ?? :( :-X

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
pradz said:
torontosm I am having a dilemna. Im trying to rent a 1br room or studio in a condo as I dont want a basement apartment but I am unable to crack a deal with anyone as I am new PR without credit history and job letter. Whats the workaround ?? :( :-X
There are a few:
1) Get someone who is established in Canada to co-sign your application;
2) Provide a large deposit up front (i.e., 3 months rent) as security for the landlord; or
3) Find an immigrant landlord who could understand your predicament.

What area are you looking in?

pradz

Feb 24, 2016
torontosm said:
There are a few:
1) Get someone who is established in Canada to co-sign your application;
2) Provide a large deposit up front (i.e., 3 months rent) as security for the landlord; or
3) Find an immigrant landlord who could understand your predicament.

What area are you looking in?
Hey torontoosm. No 3 worked for me. Thanks a lot !! :) btw any tips on jobsearch in the IT field would be much appreciated . thanks !!

Oki911

Feb 18, 2016
The area you should plan to live in, should depend entire on where you expect to find work. That is, if you're going to work.

If you want access to downtown, but you wish to live somewhere less hectic and less expensive, then you might look at Brampton, somewhere near on its train GO stations. The GO train takes you to downtown Toronto in just over 30 minutes. The cost of living around Brampton is less than most places around the GTA.
The school is always a bit of a toss up.

Another question is, must it be Toronto? There are other places that are more friendly. Ottawa, Halifax, heck even Montreal. That's my personal opinion though. Toronto is definitely a happening place. But good grief it's crowded, and it's taking a toll on people. Personally, I vouch for Ottawa. It's got an economy still, and it's less stressful. It's better for raising kids in my opinion.