+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gold Jewelry - Goods to Follow

shaks_great

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have a concern and would like to get valuable opinion. I did soft landing back in August 2018 where i completed Goods to Follow list in which I declared all the Gold Jewelry which i will carrying now after 2 years when I am moving permanently. When I submitted goods to follow list , i could not submit the photographs of the jewelry as I lost pictures but customs stamped and considered all the items mentioned in the form. Now my question is will it be a problem for me at the airport when i am carrying all the mentioned jewelry but have no stamped photographs but only stamped goods to follow list?

Waiting for the valuable response

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I have a concern and would like to get valuable opinion. I did soft landing back in August 2018 where i completed Goods to Follow list in which I declared all the Gold Jewelry which i will carrying now after 2 years when I am moving permanently. When I submitted goods to follow list , i could not submit the photographs of the jewelry as I lost pictures but customs stamped and considered all the items mentioned in the form. Now my question is will it be a problem for me at the airport when i am carrying all the mentioned jewelry but have no stamped photographs but only stamped goods to follow list?

I know this "photographs of jewelry" requirement has been posted on this forum numerous times. I'm not sure if there is an official source which states this requirement (there may be one).

But, personally, I found this absurd when I was planning to soft land and move and hence contrary to popular opinion here, I never submitted any photographs when I submitted my GTF list. Also, no one asked me about any photographs when I made the permanent move.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I know this "photographs of jewelry" requirement has been posted on this forum numerous times. I'm not sure if there is an official source which states this requirement (there may be one).

But, personally, I found this absurd when I was planning to soft land and move and hence contrary to popular opinion here, I never submitted any photographs when I submitted my GTF list. Also, no one asked me about any photographs when I made the permanent move.

1. When in doubt, check CBSA's web site settler's effects https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Note the following specifications for certain circumstances

SubsectionAction Required
JewelleryDescribe each item of jewellery you plan to bring into Canada on the list of goods you submit. Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by jeweller or gemologist. This makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later when you return from abroad with the jewellery.

Reactions: cansha

shaks_great

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017

Thank you for the response.

So in this case Jewellery information on GTF list (stamped) is enough carry it into Canada when moving permanently.

shaks_great

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
Hi

1. When in doubt, check CBSA's web site settler's effects https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

Note the following specifications for certain circumstances

SubsectionAction Required
JewelleryDescribe each item of jewellery you plan to bring into Canada on the list of goods you submit. Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by jeweller or gemologist. This makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later when you return from abroad with the jewellery.
Thanks for quoting the info

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you for the response.

So in this case Jewellery information on GTF list (stamped) is enough carry it into Canada when moving permanently.
PMM has quoted official information and it does mention pictures.

In my personal experience (and at least of 4 friends where I have first hand information) pictures were not asked when making a permanent move.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Not being asked something does not mean it is ok to not provide. Nor does not complying with rule guarantee a problem.

There is lot of leeway on this from either ways. I reckon you will be fine when you actually do bring it over unless we are talking about say half million.

Another point, if you indeed did soft landing, you did not need to provide gtf anyway. Search these forums on more about this.

blue_unicorn

Nov 24, 2021
I don't think there should be any problem at all. I remember going to France and bought plenty of faith based jewelry. Pretty surprising tbh, considering the confusing religions in France. I'm a believer and when I saw the jewelries I guess I just couldn't hold myself. Anyways, I brought all of those jewelries with me through the security check in airport. I had all of them with me in an inside pocket of my jacket and I only got asked once. Nobody held me back or something like that at all.

randabawa

Apr 14, 2022
You need to clearly understand that the price of jewelry, in addition to the cost of the alloy itself, includes the cost of stones, the work of a jeweler (jewelry factory), the mark-up of wholesalers and retail, taxes. As a result, the value of the gold product exceeds the value of the precious metal several times. A pawnshop or a jewelry store will not take a jewelry item for sale at market value. So we can assume that investing in gold jewelry is a great solution. But in this, as in any investment, you need to be careful and enlist the support of experts. Personally, I turned to Goldco review.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hello Everyone,

I have a concern and would like to get valuable opinion. I did soft landing back in August 2018 where i completed Goods to Follow list in which I declared all the this gold company which i will carrying now after 2 years when I am moving permanently. When I submitted goods to follow list , i could not submit the photographs of the jewelry as I lost pictures but customs stamped and considered all the items mentioned in the form. Now my question is will it be a problem for me at the airport when i am carrying all the mentioned jewelry but have no stamped photographs but only stamped goods to follow list?

. It's essential to have all necessary documentation when traveling with valuable items like gold jewelry, as customs regulations vary by country and can be strict. To ensure a smooth process at the airport, I recommend reaching out to the customs authority or the relevant department beforehand to clarify their requirements and discuss your situation. They can provide you with specific guidance on how to proceed and any additional documentation you may need to bring. Overall, it's best to address this concern proactively to avoid any issues during your travel.