+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Oath without passport?

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my opinion, the best way to deal with your situation would be to go on-site to the Chinese consulate/embassy and tell them you absolutely need your old passport. I think they will give it back to you. Even if it delays your Chinese passport renewal application I believe the Oath is more.... important? (it is none of my business but are you still entitled to a Chinese passport once you're Canadian citizen? Just for my own personal knowledge)

crocdile

Nov 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will not ask for your passports even though it's in the letter. They didn't even look at my landing paper, which is requested in the letter also...(office Mississauga)

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
but on the off chance that on the day he/she attends ,they do ask for it, it then becomes a problem. So best to research and cover all your bases.

Even worst case show that you emailed Embassy and that they either responded with xxx.....or despite your emailing them twice or more than once etc.... they did not respond etc.... whatever the case maybe..Have paper trail with print outs, translations and justification. If they do surprise you with the question of where your passports are.

Easiest, of course, as we already know is to just request for it /freeze the current renewal process at the Embassy /do you oath and then RE-submit (afresh) your Chinese passport for renewal.

L-Tosh

May 19, 2014
I and my family had our oath taking ceremony a couple of weeks ago at the CIC office in Mississauga. In the letter inviting us for the ceremony, it was stated that we should bring along, amongst many other listed documents, our passports (expired and current) but at the venue, they only demanded for (and took away) our PR cards and that's it! To be sure it was not a mistake on the part of the official, I observed that it was the same procedure for all others that took the oath that day; only the PR card was asked for. I'm not saying this is what obtains in all other centers, ... just sharing my experience. As many others on this post have advised, I'll say too that you if you can't get your passport before your oath date, obtain a letter from your embassy, explaining your situation.