+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Apply for PGWP soon- messed up paystubs and wage payments

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hi,
Just when I thought I reached the peak of my problems with study permit extension (issued after 6+ months) and all, something new happened. I was recalled to my part-time work last month (non-essential retail job) and due to the pandemic, their payroll processing and associated systems were crashed (so I was told) and they switched the pay period (still biweekly), long story short- I was only able to access my employee account recently in the Ceridian/Dayforce platform recently and when I checked the paystubs, the pay periods when I am paid are wrong and there are multiple pay periods with same date ( two pay stubs issued with the same pay period (26 July to 8 Aug) with the payments received on 7 Aug and 14 Aug- I didn't receive payment on a Friday and in lieu of that, they paid me next week ). Moreover I was overpaid by around 5 hours in a paystub (I have been getting regular 19-20 hours since I was recalled and never I exceeded 20 hours during my entire Canadian work history and this all happened for the first time since I was hired there.

Now the manager is looking into fixing the problem but said not to get my hopes high as paystub once issued can't be amended or something or I should have informed them much earlier (I don't know it's true or not and I was unable to inform the errors as soon as possible because I couldn't access them)- I couldn't any resource on legal points on editing past payslips already issued.

Is there anyone here who went through a similar situation- issues related to paystub (the payment I receive is right except for a small overpayment which will be corrected in the future) but the thing is there are multiple paystubs for a same period, indicating I worked around 75 hours+ (biweekly) when the theoretical maximum for an international student is 40 hours.

When considering PGWP, does IRCC will confirm my hours or access my pay stubs through any other source or record of employment or is it only from my bank statements?

I will be applying for my PGWP within a month and is it wise to let them know of this error through a webform or better not to mention about this at all. Every time I climb a hill of problems, there is another issue waiting to happen and I would be so relieved if I someone could share some valuable insight on this problem.

Thank you

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Can anyone explain to me how payroll in these situations and the legality surrounding such as editing past paystubs to correct it, in Canada?