+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going on Vacation with Expired Pr card

Great Sage

Nov 17, 2010
South Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for renewal in July and got my card in about 3.5 months, If you meet the RO requirements with a good margin, I think you will get it by mid Dec 2021 or beginning or Jan 2022. You will have an issue if for some reason they decide to send it to the local office to pick it up in-person. In that case, you may not get it before April 2022, and you will have to make other arrangements.
Why is picking up in person problematic?

Great Sage

Nov 17, 2010
South Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, if I book a flight from Mexico to the USA with intention of crossing the land border. Will the airline require proof of onward travel to allow me on the plane?

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
So, if I book a flight from Mexico to the USA with intention of crossing the land border. Will the airline require proof of onward travel to allow me on the plane?
Those are two separate parts of the journey. To fly into the US you need a valid US visa. It's none of airline's business where you will go after landing in the US. But, if you hold non-immigrant visa (like B1/B2), then you better have your itinerary/plans to go to Canada handy, so you can present it to border agent should he ask for your return ticket. You can explain that you are Canadian PR, on your way to Canada, and just stopping by to have some fun in the US before crossing into Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Personally I doubt it, at least for those who don't need visas to USA and are Canadian PRs - just say your spouse or whoever is picking you up by car, that's not at all unusual.

That said, I haven't travelled much to USA recently (incl during covid) and airlines can sometimes surprise you, check with the airline if you can.