+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going Home for Christmas?

iansaunders

Mar 22, 2008
Hello friends,

I have an application for PR as a sponsored Common-Law partner, in Canada. I am just waiting to gain approval to have my visitor visa extended, and in early January (approximately) will find out if my partner has been approved as a sponsor. However, I was wondering if was possible for me to leave Canada so I can return to home (the UK) for a week or so over christmas. Am I allowed to leave Canada and if I were to would it jeopardise my application? I would be travelling without out my partner, so what would I need to have on me to prove that my partner is supporting me?

Thanks in advance,

arewethereyet

Sep 2, 2009
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2009
Passport Req..
22-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-12-2009
Check out this section of the guide (5289) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289E10.asp

Under Your Responsibility
It is your responsibility to ensure that your temporary resident status remains valid until you receive permanent resident status. When you leave Canada, you relinquish your temporary resident status and may not be able to return to Canada.
And under the Warning at the bottom of the page
Warning: If you leave Canada before permanent residence is approved there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to return or re-enter Canada. This is especially true if you require a visitor visa. Your application may be refused or delayed if you no longer have temporary resident status to qualify as a member of the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.
Hope this helps.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Leaving Canada is not a problem. Returning to Canada could be.

You're free to travel (there is no requirement to be physically present in Canada throughout the process), but it's not advisable. As a UK citizen, you shouldn't have much trouble coming back, but if you get unlucky and get an IO at the airport that decides you're trying to stay in Canada longer than you should, they could refuse you entry. And then you're in trouble, because if you can't make it back to Canada, you lose your inland application.

If you're going to do this, have with you some evidence that you filed the PR app. Maybe the payment receipt or copies of the forms. That way if needed, you'll be able to prove you're trying to do things right. Maybe also a copy of the visitor status extension form that you sent.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. The odds are better that you'll be fine than not, but still. That's just me though, I'm overly careful ;)

iansaunders

Mar 22, 2008
Many thanks guys. I'm just trying to weigh up my options and I also am very cautious! Its a long process (understandably) so I dont want to lose out because I went home for a week