+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going back to US as a PR of Canada

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
Hello

I'm US citizen living in Canada as a PR, and now I would like to go back to US. If I don't meet the residency requirements of my PR and lose my status, will it be any easier to get PR status in the future since I was once a PR? or will it be just as hard as the first time?

Regards!

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
i';m sorry i cant answer your question , and pardon me for sticking my nose in , but could you tell me why there are many americans who want to maintain or get pr of canada??whats the deal?

and if you are an american you could enter whenver you want canada and even work there right??

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
cooldoc80 said:
i';m sorry i cant answer your question , and pardon me for sticking my nose in , but could you tell me why there are many americans who want to maintain or get pr of canada??whats the deal?

and if you are an american you could enter whenver you want canada and even work there right??
well I came here when my mother decided to move to Canada for some reason and I got my PR through her.

With a US passport you can only visit Canada, but cannot work in Canada.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just out of curiosity, how many more days do you need to become a Canadian citizen?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you lose your PR due to residency requirements, it will not be any easier to get it back. It may even be harder because once you are over 22 and not a full time student and therefore not financially dependent on your mother, she would not be able to sponsor you under the federal system. She might be able to sponsor you under a provincial program if she lives in SK or MB. Otherwise you would have to qualify on your own.

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
Alabaman said:
Just out of curiosity, how many more days do you need to become a Canadian citizen?
I can probably become a Canadian citizen now, but I think if I do, I will risk losing my US citizenship.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpro said:
I can probably become a Canadian citizen now, but I think if I do, I will risk losing my US citizenship.
No you won't. There are plenty of dual Canadian/US citizens.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpro said:
For real?? Dang! So just submit your Canadian citizenship application and then take off to the US. Make sure someone checks your mails so you don't miss any correspondence from CIC. With that, you dont have to worry about filing for PR or any residency obligation again... never!

Ensure you meet 1095 days of physical presence in Canada in the last 4 years before you submit your application.

By the way, you don't risk losing your US Citizenship.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Alabaman said:
By the way, you don't risk losing your US Citizenship.
Hi Alabaman, Can you provide support for this statement? Just wondering what the regs are...

Not that I doubt you, but the OP is a naturalized US citizen (I'm guessing since s/he states "I'm not a born US citizen") so might this be an issue if there is a 3rd citizenship involved?

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
AllisonVSC said:
Hi Alabaman, Can you provide support for this statement? Just wondering what the regs are...

Not that I doubt you, but the OP is a naturalized US citizen (I'm guessing since s/he states "I'm not a born US citizen") so might this be an issue if there is a 3rd citizenship involved?
To be exact I derived US citizenship from parents, I was a green card holder and both my parents became naturalized US citizens before I turned 18 which automatically made me a US citizen.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Did you give up your previous citizenship when you became a naturalized US citizen, xpro?

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
AllisonVSC said:
Did you give up your previous citizenship when you became a naturalized US citizen, xpro?
no, I became a us citizen completely automatic, I did not do anything,

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I understand, but before you were a citizen of the US you were a citizen of another country, right? So, I was trying to ask if you are currently a dual citizenship or was your previous citizenship forfeited when you became an American. Sorry to confuse.

xpro

Feb 13, 2011
AllisonVSC said:
I understand, but before you were a citizen of the US you were a citizen of another country, right? So, I was trying to ask if you are currently a dual citizenship or was your previous citizenship forfeited when you became an American. Sorry to confuse.
I suppose I'm still citizen my birth country as well since I did not renounce it.