+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going back to school after PGWP and waiting for PR

marinasc

Jan 14, 2020
I have a PGWP and plan on applying for PR in June/2020 (1 year work experience). However I am going back to university for a master program in September. I know I need to apply for a study permit for that, but will this affect my chances of getting the PR approved? If I change my status while waiting for the PR, will it be a problem?
And will the study permit cancel the PGWP? I also read somewhere that you can have a study permit AND the PGWP at the same time, is that true?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I have a PGWP and plan on applying for PR in June/2020 (1 year work experience). However I am going back to university for a master program in September. I know I need to apply for a study permit for that, but will this affect my chances of getting the PR approved?
No, it should have no effect on your PR application. These are completely independent things.

If I change my status while waiting for the PR, will it be a problem?
No, this is not an issue since your current status plays no role during the processing of your PR application.

And will the study permit cancel the PGWP? I also read somewhere that you can have a study permit AND the PGWP at the same time, is that true?
No, it will not. You can hold them both simultaneously.
Please see my answers above in red (in the quoted text)

I know these things because that was exactly my case. I finished my Master's degree in 2017 and got my PGWP in March 2017, eventhough I graduated in June 2017.

1. Applied for a second Study permit in March 31, 2019, for a second Master's degree which I started in September 2019
  2. Submitted my PR application on May 2, 2019
  3. Got my Study Permit Approved on May 5, 2019
  4. Got my PR approved on February 3, 2020 and have my landing interview on February 25, 2020 (tomorrow)
  5. My PGWP will expire Next moth (March 17, 2020) and my Study Permit on February 12, 2021 (same as passport) --> not that this is important since starting tomorrow I will not need them anymore and IRCC will keep them when I go to my interview (or so I think)

marinasc

Jan 14, 2020
Please see my answers above in red (in the quoted text)

I know these things because that was exactly my case. I finished my Master's degree in 2017 and got my PGWP in March 2017, eventhough I graduated in June 2017.

1. Applied for a second Study permit in March 31, 2019, for a second Master's degree which I started in September 2019
  2. Submitted my PR application on May 2, 2019
  3. Got my Study Permit Approved on May 5, 2019
  4. Got my PR approved on February 3, 2020 and have my landing interview on February 25, 2020 (tomorrow)
  5. My PGWP will expire Next moth (March 17, 2020) and my Study Permit on February 12, 2021 (same as passport) --> not that this is important since starting tomorrow I will not need them anymore and IRCC will keep them when I go to my interview (or so I think)
Thank you and congrats on getting your PR!
Do you know if I can still work full time having the PGWP and the study permit?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thank you and congrats on getting your PR!
Do you know if I can still work full time having the PGWP and the study permit?
Yes, you can as long as your PGWP is valid. Just make sure to stop working full time when it expires.

I asked this to an officer the last time I landed in Canada. She said yes you can but need to stop working full-time when your PGWP expires. If that happens you would need your Study Permit to allow you to work off-campus to continue to work part-time (up to 20 hours/week).

Regardless, my PR was approved before my PGWP expired and I wasn't working full-time anyway so it didn't really matter for me.

ALSO: my landing interview was postponed until tomorrow Feb 26, 2020! They sent me a last-minute email. Anyway, just 1 more day!