+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going Abroad (from Canada) while PR is pending

Osius

May 26, 2020
Hi all,

I was wondering, if my girlfriend and I could temporarily travel (for education) abroad for a couple of months, up to one year while our PR applications are still pending?

Also,is there a possibility that IRCC asks us to provide our physical passports while we are gone?
We’d like to avoid sending our passports by mail.

We are expecting a final decision by the end of this year.

We are not sure if we have taken everything into account.

Some background info about us:
Me: CEC, AOR Feb21, Medical passed. Background check is still being processed. Currently in Canada on a closed work permit, which expires 01/2023.
Gf: FSW, AOR Aug20, Medical passed. Background check is still being processed. Currently with me in Canada on an open work permit, which expires 03/2022.

Thanks a lot for any advice

Osius

ejcanada

Jul 30, 2020
Hi,
I'm interested about your question too.
I am still waiting for a decision on my PR (FSW inland) but I want to travel abroad.
I am wondering if I have to mention anything to IRCC and if this could affect the decision on my PR.

Does anyone have input about that?

Thanks a lot.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,

I was wondering, if my girlfriend and I could temporarily travel (for education) abroad for a couple of months, up to one year while our PR applications are still pending?

Also,is there a possibility that IRCC asks us to provide our physical passports while we are gone?
We’d like to avoid sending our passports by mail.

We are expecting a final decision by the end of this year.

We are not sure if we have taken everything into account.

Some background info about us:
Me: CEC, AOR Feb21, Medical passed. Background check is still being processed. Currently in Canada on a closed work permit, which expires 01/2023.
Gf: FSW, AOR Aug20, Medical passed. Background check is still being processed. Currently with me in Canada on an open work permit, which expires 03/2022.

Thanks a lot for any advice

Osius
Not sure about CEC. Better ask at that section of the forum if you are required to stay in Canada.
But regardless, you need to update IRCC your new address if you move (specially if you move outside of Canada). When passport is requested, then they will have instruction to send to the proper location for stamping.

And if you have new job/study, update IRCC as well.

Osius

May 26, 2020
But regardless, you need to update IRCC your new address if you move (specially if you move outside of Canada). When passport is requested, then they will have instruction to send to the proper location for stamping.
Thank you.
What do you exactly mean by that? A Canadian embassy in a foreign country?

I have another question which is giving me headache....
Do you guys know, if there is a deadline on the COPR?

Cheers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you.

Cheers
Yes there is an expiry date on a COPR.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you.

Cheers
Yes. You will still be likely to have to mail your passports for stamping (this was also the process before covid), but only locally or regionally, not to Canada. Slim chances of VFS or VAC for in-person passport drop-offs, but I’m not familiar with the situation in your region.