BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-13
This is a unique topic but I am hoping there are others that are experienced or somewhat knowledgable on this subject.

I have immigrated my spouse from USA. She has had her Permanent residency since January 2015. Unfortuantley I have been experiencing some abuse in my relationship. I guess I want some information on how to legally end this marriage and stil abide by rules and obligations I have made. I know there is a form to voluntarily give up Permanent residency. It is so saddening that after all our work that this is what has become of our situation. Please do not judge me or belittle me as this is obviously a very sensitive subject to discuss on an open forum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Does she have conditional permanent residency? (If she has conditional permanent residency then she would have a "51" printed on her COPR).

If she has conditional PR, then you can inform CIC that your relationship has fallen apart and you are no longer together. CIC will then start the process of revoking her PR status and you will no longer be financially responsible for her once her PR status is revoked.

If, on the other hand, she does not have conditional PR - then there is nothing you can do and her PR status is hers to keep. You will also continue to be financially responsible for her for three years after her landing.

ana2903

Jul 5, 2015
From what I gather, they have special services for whoever is being sponsored. Now it doesn't say anything about the person sponsoring.

http: / / www . cic.gc . ca/english/resources/publications/family-sponsorship . asp

Anyway, check the conditions in which someone would get the "Conditional" Permanent Residency – Applying after a certain date, having no children with the sponsor ... These people would get the conditional permanent residency and would lose their status in case they are not living with their sponsor.

As for your mental health, keep in mind that is not a reason to be ashamed! Stuff like that happens all the time, unfortunately :/ And maybe you should go to the psychologist. It's crazy how relieving it feels to just open up to someone without being afraid of being judged for it.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Others have covered the PR aspect. To find out about divorce, search for "divorce [name of your province]".

cpeters8604

Aug 13, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-13
I have found a lot of information for help for the sponsored person but next to nothing for the person who has sponsored their spouse.

I have sought some legal aide and have been given a dozen numbers to call all of which result in voice mail then waiting for call backs. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed to say the least. Also trying to stay safe and deal with the break up! After I have some more information I will return and share it on here for those in similar situations so that they have some support or at least some direction.

Thank you all for your responses