+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving the Biometrics for TRV in USA

grad_student

Dec 10, 2013
I am planning to apply for TRV for Canada. I am currently residing in USA, and will be applying online. I am wondering if we need to give biometrics at a VAC (which is either in New York or LA) or we can give our biometrics at "Other locations with biometric" facility, which are pretty much available in most of the cities in USA?

Reason for asking is that I live no where near either New York or LA, and it would cost me around $700 to travel to either city. Please help. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

"If you need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph), and you are applying on paper, please do not mail in your application. Submit your application in person to the visa application centre (VAC) nearest you. VAC staff will check that your application is complete and will confirm that you have paid the correct fees before you can give your biometrics. If you are applying from within the United States, submit your application online."

grad_student

Dec 10, 2013
It only tells me to apply online, which I already am. I wanna make sure I can give biometrics at other locations available throughout USA, other than VAC in New York and LA.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
grad_student said:
It only tells me to apply online, which I already am. I wanna make sure I can give biometrics at other locations available throughout USA, other than VAC in New York and LA.
Here's the relevant info from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp . Click on 'If applying from within United States.' This link also provides a link to find the nearest ASC to you.

"If you need to give your biometrics, you can no longer mail in your application to a Canadian visa office in the U.S. You must now apply online.
CIC will send you a biometric instruction letter by mail or by email through your MyCIC account when we receive your online application. Read this letter, print a copy and bring it, along with your passport or other travel document, to an Application Support Centre (ASC) to give your biometrics.
Go to an ASC to give your biometrics between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. You do not need to make an appointment.
Go to the ASC that is closest to the zip code you gave on your application.
Your $85 CAD biometric fee covers the cost of having your biometrics taken at the ASC.
ASCs do not accept immigrant or temporary resident applications and cannot provide information or application handling services.
"

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

grad_student said:
The following lists all the ASC in the US, VAC doesn't do bio metrics in the US. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/vac/list.asp#U

These visa application centres accept applications for:

visitor visas
study permits
work permits
travel documents for permanent residents

Note: Biometric collection (photograph and fingerprints) is not yet offered at these locations.
Application Support Centers (ASCs) in the United States

At ASC offices, you can provide your biometrics (photograph and fingerprints) between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. No appointment is required.

Note: You cannot submit your application to an ASC. ASCs do not offer application assistance or other VAC services.

grad_student

Dec 10, 2013
Ok. thats what I thought.

Another question: Do I still need to provide another Photo of myself in addition to the one they take during giving the biometric information?

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
grad_student said:
Ok. thats what I thought.

Another question: Do I still need to provide another Photo of myself in addition to the one they take during giving the biometric information?
I didn't need to give biometrics, so I don't really know. But, when you apply online you will need to fill out a questionnaire that will be used to generate a checklist of documents that you will need to submit while applying. This checklist will depend on your particular situation, so you should know if you need to submit the photo.

My guess is that you will need it to apply since it is also a normal part of the application process.

zissani1

Jul 11, 2016
Hi, I was sent a biometric instruction letter which does not have my information or any bar code in it. So, ASC won't allow me to give me the fingerprint. What should I do? I submitted an webform on cic website mentioning the problem. But, it is probably gonna take a long time for them to answer. I am currently in USA.

nasha27

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We intend to apply for parents supervisa online while they are visiting USA. Not sure where and how biometrics will be submitted? I read about Application Support Centres here but do they offer such services for visitor / supervisa to Canada?

Really appreciate if someone can share relevant info or experience in this regard.