+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Toronto OR Mississauga ??

leem

May 12, 2014
Hello everyone,
We are confused as new comers, to deliver in at Michael hospital toronto/ credit valley hospital mississauga
Taking into considerations the dr/hospital experience/knowledge along with pocket wise ?

If you have other recommendations in terms of which hospital, please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said in the other thread, is there a reason why your family would need to live in Ontario (at least for delivery the baby)? Wouldn't you consider Alberta to take advantage that there is no waiting period for getting provincial healthcare which the provincial healthcare would pay for your delivery costs?

Suppose your child is born in Canada, he/she is a Canadian citizen. He/she would not need to get PR in order to come to Canada permanently.

FYI, if Calgary, you can choose to have babies delivered in Foothills Hospital.

leem

May 12, 2014
Thanks for your replies

Reply for steaky
but regarding giving birth in Alberta, i have no issues, but what i know is that i should remain in the same provenience for minimum of 6 months (to have no issues with OHIP), and my plan is to settle in Toronto or Mississauga, so any advice :D ???

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are planning on settling in ON, it makes sense to have your baby in ON. If you want to have your baby in AB, you should be settling in AB which is not bad either. Maybe you'll like it.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leem said:
Thanks for your replies

Reply for steaky
but regarding giving birth in Alberta, i have no issues, but what i know is that i should remain in the same provenience for minimum of 6 months (to have no issues with OHIP), and my plan is to settle in Toronto or Mississauga, so any advice :D ???
Forget your plan to settle in Ontario and OHIP if pocket wise is in your best interest. You do want to be immediately covered by provincial healthcare once you return to Canada - which in this case is Alberta Heathcare (versus Ontario would have to wait 3 months). Yes you would need remain in Alberta for a minimum of 6 months.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
steaky said:
Forget your plan to settle in Ontario and OHIP if pocket wise is in your best interest. You do want to be immediately covered by provincial healthcare once you return to Canada - which in this case is Alberta Heathcare (versus Ontario would have to wait 3 months). Yes you would need remain in Alberta for a minimum of 6 months.
So, is it like this: move to AB, get the Health Card immediately, and deliver the baby. Then, stay in AB for 6 months before returning to ONT?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sharedknowledge said:
So, is it like this: move to AB, get the Health Card immediately, and deliver the baby. Then, stay in AB for 6 months before returning to ONT?
Yes, exactly. As long as you are moving to Canada from overseas.

The only exception is if somebody has already moved to and settled in Ontario and has spent a couple of months but not yet gained OHIP. In that case, AB health may decide that they are not moving to AB from outside Canada but from another province so in that case they would still be subjected to a waiting period.

sharedknowledge

Nov 30, 2012
Leon said:
Yes, exactly. As long as you are moving to Canada from overseas.

The only exception is if somebody has already moved to and settled in Ontario and has spent a couple of months but not yet gained OHIP. In that case, AB health may decide that they are not moving to AB from outside Canada but from another province so in that case they would still be subjected to a waiting period.
+1 for you

Zombie77

Mar 23, 2018
Hi all

I am a permanent resident and pregnant. I'm due for delivery in August this year. I plan to move and settle in Canada before that. I'll be leaving end of June. Since my husband will coming close to delivery date, I will be alone. Looking for a decent and not expensive place to stay in. Is Mississauga or Oakville a good option?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all

I am a permanent resident and pregnant. I'm due for delivery in August this year. I plan to move and settle in Canada before that. I'll be leaving end of June. Since my husband will coming close to delivery date, I will be alone. Looking for a decent and not expensive place to stay in. Is Mississauga or Oakville a good option?
Both cities are more expensive than Alberta. Like I said previously, forget GTA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all

You won't have health coverage, so if money is an issue, you should not be giving birth here. Even a simple birth costs thousands of dollars; if there are complications, that could go to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: YVR123

Zombie77

Mar 23, 2018
Yes I'm aware of the OHIP situation. I do have medical insurance which pregnancy is covered for. So I'm not worried about cost. My worry is since I'm new the area and don't know my way around, I was wondering how easy it would be for me to get around? Being in my 35th week does scare me a bit. My husband will be coming slightly later. After the birth of the baby, as well I'll be pretty much by myself till I find a job which will start only after 8 to 9 months. My husband will move permanently only next year or so. Any advice?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Very rare for insurance to cover delivery so you are lucky. Think it might be pretty stressful arriving in a new country and trying to arrange your new life at 35 weeks especially alone. It's doable but stressful . Do you have housing already? Babies sometimes arrive early so personally would want to give myself a bit more time. Also a long haul flight at 35 weeks will be pretty uncomfortable.