+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Canada as tourist

Rishi0235

Star Member
Aug 21, 2018
I
Hi scylla please can you tell me after baby birth canadian government give a citizenships to baby birth for tourist
I hear that canadaian govt should change a law for baby birth citizenships
is that true canadian govt can not give a baby citizenships

arefin1882

Sep 7, 2017
I'm writing this post to provide some information about giving birth in Canada (Ontario) as a tourist.
I was giving birth in March 2019 and I had a visitor status in that moment, my husband is a permanent resident. I have chosen Credit Valley hospital in Mississauga.
My husband and I are from Europe and there are definitely some things that are very different.

In general, before you start seeing obgy, you need to get the requisition from family doctor. The requisition for Credit Valley hospital is not necessary for tourists. You just need to go there, ask for finance manager and pay. If you try to call obstetrics department you won't get any information about prices, you have to go and see the manager.
I payed 4500$ which includes 2500$ for the ob on the delivery, 500$ for c-section, 1200 for epidural, 300$ administration fee and first check. Note that the price doesn't include hospital stay which is 3135$ for 24h in ward, 3425$ in private room. If you don't use epidural and you don't have c-section that money will be refunded to you 2-4 weeks after giving birth.

You don't get any receipt or agreement! That's how it is in Canada. You do get confirmation from credit card machine that you paid 4500$, but you don't get the actual receipt from the hospital, where it says what you paid for. I got some printed general information sheet on which finance manager wrote by hand what 4500$ include. It was really strange.

Every visit to the obgy costs 60$ and besides that you will probably need to do ultrasound and few other exams. Ultrasound is between 110-130$, depending on where you do it. Obgy will give you requisition for particular place like Credit Valley hospital for ultrasound and Dinacare for laboratory exams. First time I did ultrasound in their hospital I didn't have nice experience, so the next time they asked me to do ultrasound I did it in the other place I have chosen. Be careful with Dinacare, try to avoid them if you can. I received a bill from them for something I never did in their lab.

In case of emergency during pregnancy use of hospital fee is 720$ and you have to pay for every doctor around 150$.

When you do exams, you don't get results. Results are sent either to your family doctor, either to the obgy. In Credit Valley everyone has to pay 5$ per page to get their results printed. Or they will allow you to take pictures.
I took pictures and on the day of delivery nurse told me that obstetrics department never sent my results to the hospital, and they want to repeat some exams. It was really ridiculous.
They did find the results eventually but it would be better if we had our results pinted and took them with us.
Overall cost was around 8000$. Note that my husband is permanent resident and baby was covered. If both parents are tourists there are additional fees to be payed for the baby.

My overall experience about Canadian medical care is not as good as they represent it. It actually has a lot of minuses in many ways.

Many thanks for your detailed description. I found it incredibly helpful. Was just wondering if you know, whether Credit Valley hospital has branches in other areas in Toronto such as Scarborough. Alternatively, would you know wha is good hospital for delivery in Scarborough area?