+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving Birth In Canada As Tourist. Procedure and cost ?

naresh.bhatia

Feb 7, 2017
Dear Members,

I am 31 years holding Indian passport and my wife 27 as well having Indian passport.
We currently live and work in Dubai.
We both have tourist visa for 3 years which give us 6 months stay at one time.
My wife is 10 weeks (3month) pregnant. We are planning to enter Canada when she is doing her 5th month so this way we have to spend only last 4 months of her pregnancy in Canada.

How much will a normal delivery cost in Brampton or Mississauga or any other desi area?
Where can we have a economical stay for 5 - 6 months in some desi area?
Will my child get the Canadian passport with no issues?
and how much time is would take for his Canadian passport to be given in hand?

I already have one boy who is 16 months old. This is our 2nd child.
Like every parent in the world i want to give my child better prospects in his life.
We have lived our whole life in Dubai and as disheartening it is we are still not a citizen here cuz the government does give so.

I have seen many post about same topic but failed to see any specific info about above questions.

Kindly advise the best and way to go about it.

Thanks,
Naresh Bhatia

Reactions: Carleton

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
naresh.bhatia said:
Dear Members,

I am 31 years holding Indian passport and my wife 27 as well having Indian passport.
We currently live and work in Dubai.
We both have tourist visa for 3 years which give us 6 months stay at one time.
My wife is 10 weeks (3month) pregnant. We are planning to enter Canada when she is doing her 5th month so this way we have to spend only last 4 months of her pregnancy in Canada.

How much will a normal delivery cost in Brampton or Mississauga or any other desi area?
Where can we have a economical stay for 5 - 6 months in some desi area?
Will my child get the Canadian passport with no issues?
and how much time is would take for his Canadian passport to be given in hand?

I already have one boy who is 16 months old. This is our 2nd child.
Like every parent in the world i want to give my child better prospects in his life.
We have lived our whole life in Dubai and as disheartening it is we are still not a citizen here cuz the government does give so.

I have seen many post about same topic but failed to see any specific info about above questions.

Kindly advise the best and way to go about it.

Thanks,
Naresh Bhatia
Giving birth in Canada, apart the fact that you would have to pay for everything, will not give you any higher chances to immigrate. Your child will have to leave with you even being Canadian citizen.
Your child will have to stay with you or with appointed legal guardian.
You will have no right to get any Canadian support (Money or other incentives) for your child.
So the only potential advantage will be given 18 years later and all that under condition that there will not be any change of laws when it comes to such cases (where I guess, that you will go for double citizenship).

Reactions: Nitz_Au

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just be aware that there is always a chance that CBSA might decide you are not genuine tourists and either give you only a couple of weeks in the country as 6 months is not guaranteed or worst case if they suspect you are simply coming to the country for a birth put you on first plane home. This is exactly a scenario CBSA look out for to decide if genuine tourist or otherwise.

Not sure if you have any relatives in the country your first challenge with CBSA will be to convince them you have financial support for an extended holiday of 4-6 months and an itinerary for that period. I am not sure what the airline restrictions if any are for a new born and would anyone want to put a new born in any immediate risk with travel straight after birth plus of course documentation for travel.

Cannot help on costs but imagine would be thousands for pre birth appointments, midwife costs, hospital and a lot more if any complications . Travel insurance would not cover anything at all so you would be on your own financially.

Plus as previous post implies having a birth in Canada has no advantages for the parents until at least the child reaches 18.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
naresh.bhatia said:
For "normal" pregnancy related costs leading up to birth, and a natural (not c-section) delivery in a hospital with absolutely no complications, I would expect from $5K - $10K.

If any complications arise that would require a c-section or extended hospital stay, budget from $10K - $20K, possibly more.

Note since you are visitors, the baby(even though a Canadian citizen) will not be eligible for healthcare. So if there are any medical issues with the baby, this is where the bill can really skyrocket. Extended care of baby in neonatal unit of hospital will probably start at around a $100K bill and increase from there. A couple of visitors from Australia ended up with a $1 Mil hospital bill for their baby a few years ago, and are now paying back the hospital for rest of their lives.

peterpaul

Feb 12, 2017
1. How much will a normal delivery cost in Brampton or Mississauga or any other desi area?

No idea about Ontario. But here is a link for Alberta www health.alberta.ca/documents/HTA-2015-01-06-Maternal-Newborn-Costs.pdf

2. Where can we have a economical stay for 5 - 6 months in some desi area?

maybe AirBnB?

3. Will my child get the Canadian passport with no issues?

Yes. Familiarise yourself with the application conditions www cic.gc.ca/english/passport/child/index.asp

4. and how much time is would take for his Canadian passport to be given in hand?

You need the child's Canadian birth certificate in order to apply for Canadian Passport. In Alberta it takes usually 3-4 weeks until a birth is registered with Vital Statistics (who are issuing the Birth Certificate). So you wait for approx. 3-4 weeks and then you go to a Registry Office to apply / purchase the Birth Certificate. Usual wait time is about 3 x months in Alberta. Expedited issuance can be provided subject to proof of travel arrangements then the birth certificate will be handled basis "Rush Service" which still takes about 2-4 weeks. Once Birth Certificate on hand you go to Service Canada Government and apply there for Passport. Depending where you apply the processing time can be anywhere from 10 business days to 20 business days. Depending on the Service Canada office they may have the possibility to print the Passport with next day collection against a hefty surcharge.

Reactions: Groupof5

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
peterpaul said:
1. How much will a normal delivery cost in Brampton or Mississauga or any other desi area?

No idea about Ontario. But here is a link for Alberta www health.alberta.ca/documents/HTA-2015-01-06-Maternal-Newborn-Costs.pdf

2. Where can we have a economical stay for 5 - 6 months in some desi area?

maybe AirBnB?

3. Will my child get the Canadian passport with no issues?

Yes. Familiarise yourself with the application conditions www cic.gc.ca/english/passport/child/index.asp

4. and how much time is would take for his Canadian passport to be given in hand?

You need the child's Canadian birth certificate in order to apply for Canadian Passport. In Alberta it takes usually 3-4 weeks until a birth is registered with Vital Statistics (who are issuing the Birth Certificate). So you wait for approx. 3-4 weeks and then you go to a Registry Office to apply / purchase the Birth Certificate. Usual wait time is about 3 x months in Alberta. Expedited issuance can be provided subject to proof of travel arrangements then the birth certificate will be handled basis "Rush Service" which still takes about 2-4 weeks. Once Birth Certificate on hand you go to Service Canada Government and apply there for Passport. Depending where you apply the processing time can be anywhere from 10 business days to 20 business days. Depending on the Service Canada office they may have the possibility to print the Passport with next day collection against a hefty surcharge.
Ref point 4 has the OP considered if not able to hang around after the birth for a birth certificate and passport how they will get any passport or documentation for the new born even to go back to Dubai or India ? The new born will always be a Canadian but still need to take into consideration travel documentation to return to home country if not able to wait in Canada.

These plans for what is in effect is 'birth tourism' are all very well but apart from any potential costs there are practical considerations both how long can stay in country and actually getting any documentation to leave the country with the new born. If it were all so easy the planes would be full of 'birth tourists' assuming of course they can get past CBSA convincingly.

pop117

Jan 12, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
2171, 2175, 2282
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Naresh,
Hope you and your wife had successfully entered to Canada.

I hope you could give an update on how did it go?

Thank you.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
With cbsa they are not stupid

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello naresh bhatia.
Can you please inform me if you have applied for any visa for canada and how?
You would need to apply for a regular visitor visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you in dubai or in canada? I want to get more information as m in dubai n planning to move to canada. Kindly please give me your contact number.

Thank you.
I'm in Canada. I'm afraid I don't offer private advice (I'm not an immigration consultant or lawyer). However I"m happy to answer any questions you post on the forum.

Information about Canada's immigration programs can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Note that having a baby in Canada won't help you to immigrate.

KareemMorsy

Jul 26, 2017
I am aware that parents will not be getting any citizen.
Thanks all for your replies.

Any more inputs are welcome..
Hello Naresh

I hope your family is doing well and your new born is in good health if he is born yet :). I just need to know how did it go with you. were you able to go there. and If Yes. was your baby granted the citizenship.

Thanks

Kareem