+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Given Name-Surname Issue /Surrender Certificate/OCI application

Sunpreet142

Dec 2, 2022
I recently received my Canadian passport ,I have to travel India within 6 months and for that I am going to apply for surrender certificate and OCI.I have few question regarding filling up these applications.My Canadian passport and all other documents over here has my full name under surname and given name section blank but when I was filling the applications ,they have mandatory given name which I don't have on my Canadian passport. Please let me know how to proceed with the applications as I have to apply for surrender certificate and than for OCI as soon as possible,I looked at couple of threads where people were talking about getting name split or legal name change but that process will take long ,I dont have much time.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I recently received my Canadian passport ,I have to travel India within 6 months and for that I am going to apply for surrender certificate and OCI.I have few question regarding filling up these applications.My Canadian passport and all other documents over here has my full name under surname and given name section blank but when I was filling the applications ,they have mandatory given name which I don't have on my Canadian passport. Please let me know how to proceed with the applications as I have to apply for surrender certificate and than for OCI as soon as possible,I looked at couple of threads where people were talking about getting name split or legal name change but that process will take long ,I dont have much time.
Looks like empty given name wont work - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-application-xxx-in-canadian-passport-given-name.822122/post-10750729

YEG2024

Feb 7, 2024
Check with BLS International, they are the ones who deal with MEA/Indian Consulate applications. Indian embassies here in Canada know that it's very common. Even my Indian passport is the same, sirname section is empty. And IRCC writes my whole name in last name section. I had no trouble obtaining PCC from Indian embassy for my PR application. I don't think it's going to be a huge deal. I suggest that you should talk to BLS International. Sometimes, all you need to do is, provide the embassy with an affidavit. So, don't worry too much.

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
I have the same issue, my full name appears in my last name field empty and first name is blank. the same error appears since my COPR. I want to change it because my correct name should be split in proper fields. Does anyone of you have tried to get it changed as this was not a clerical error made by IRCC. please provide me any link for the process to get it changed. Also does it create any trouble while travelling and booking tickets.

Reactions: YEG2024

YEG2024

Feb 7, 2024
I have the same issue, my full name appears in my last name field empty and first name is blank. the same error appears since my COPR. I want to change it because my correct name should be split in proper fields. Does anyone of you have tried to get it changed as this was not a clerical error made by IRCC. please provide me any link for the process to get it changed. Also does it create any trouble while travelling and booking tickets.
It is not an error. This is very normal for Indian passport Holders. The people working at Indian embassy should already know all this, and they should help applicants. But, they do the easiest thing possible for a bureaucracy to do: THEY DON'T CARE.

• Haha
Reactions: fièrementcanadien