+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Given Name on old Passport & First and Last Name new Passports

creativeuk

Star Member
Feb 6, 2011
Dear Members
I am PR at the moment and have Indian Passports.

My Old Passport has only Given Name - Davinder Singh

Where as in New Passport ,I have requested Indian Consulate to split the names
First Name- Davinder
Last Name-Singh

All my canadian ID's have just Given Name- Davinder Singh (no Surname)I have never applied for any name change .
I am in process of filling up forms for citizenship.

Please guide me through the right path .
Thanks for your kind attention

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
creativeuk said:
Dear Members

First Name- Davinder
Last Name-Singh

All my canadian ID's have just Given Name- Davinder Singh (no Surname)I have never applied for any name change .

The question is that does your new passport show surname as: Singh and Given name: Davinder

creativeuk

Star Member
Feb 6, 2011
thecoolguysam said:
The question is that does your new passport show surname as: Singh and Given name: Davinder
Hi there.

yes my new existing passport shows
surname- Singh
first name- Davinder

where as my old expired passport and all canadian ID's shows Given Name- Davinder Singh .

However overall there is no change I was Davinder Singh earlier, now Davinder Singh as well.

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
creativeuk said:
Hi there.

yes my new existing passport shows
surname- Singh
first name- Davinder

where as my old expired passport and all canadian ID's shows Given Name- Davinder Singh .

However overall there is no change I was Davinder Singh earlier, now Davinder Singh as well.

Thanks
In CIT 0002 E write the following:

3 A Enter the name as per your pr card or landing document.

3 B Enter your new name.

3 C Write if you find something appropriate to enter.

Write a cover letter with the explanation about the name and you need to attach the copy of the new passport to reflect the new name. You may have to attach the copy of the old passport to show the old name.

Are you really sure your landing document and pr card has "Davinder Singh" in the Given name field. I think it should be on surname field.

Read the instruction guide here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

creativeuk

Star Member
Feb 6, 2011
thecoolguysam said:
In CIT 0002 E write the following:

3 A Enter the name as per your pr card or landing document.

3 B Enter your new name.

3 C Write if you find something appropriate to enter.

Write a cover letter with the explanation about the name and you need to attach the copy of the new passport to reflect the new name. You may have to attach the copy of the old passport to show the old name.

Are you really sure your landing document and pr card has "Davinder Singh" in the Given name field. I think it should be on surname field.

Read the instruction guide here:

HI there

I am sorry ,you are right the whole name is written in Surname field on landing docs

As per instruction guide to citizenship .

If I write my name on 3B in form CIT002 (which is a name change section)
Last Name -Singh
First Name- DAvinder

in this scenario, as per instruction guide I need to provide name change certificate ,where as i have never changed my name legally in Canada or outside Canada.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Read the instruction guide (Name change section):

I am pasting a relevant part for your reference:

If you have legally changed your name outside Canada and are residing in Canada

Then you must provide a copy of the following documents:

A foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name;
A document that links your previous name to your new name, such as a foreign marriage certificate (with an official translation); and
A document in the new name from Canadian provinces or territories (ex. driver's license, health card, age of majority card, senior citizen’s identification card, or social service card)

Write as per what I have mentioned in my previous post.

Here is an example:

In 3 A, write "Davinder Singh" in the last name (surname/family name) field and leave the given name field blank.

In 3 B, write last name(surname/family name) as "Singh" and Given name(s) as "Davinder"

In 3 C, Provide Details: Write "Name at Birth"
Leave Last name (surname/family name) as blank
Write "Davinder Singh" in Given name(s)

My question for you is how did you split the name on new indian passport? Did you submit any name change documents etc and where did you get the passport re-issued? At BLS Canada or in India?

creativeuk

Star Member
Feb 6, 2011
thecoolguysam said:

A foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation amended to reflect the new name;
A document that links your previous name to your new name, such as a foreign marriage certificate (with an official translation); and
A document in the new name from Canadian provinces or territories (ex. driver's license, health card, age of majority card, senior citizen’s identification card, or social service card)

Here is an example:

In 3 A, write "Davinder Singh" in the last name (surname/family name) field and leave the given name field blank.

In 3 B, write last name(surname/family name) as "Singh" and Given name(s) as "Davinder"

My question for you is how did you split the name on new indian passport? Did you submit any name change documents etc and where did you get the passport re-issued? At BLS Canada or in India?
Indian Consulate allow name split with help of an affidavit only which state person with
Given Name -Davinder Singh
and
First Name -Davinder
surnamer-Singh
are the same person .
they call it name split where as there is no such thing as Name split exist in canada.

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
creativeuk said:
Indian Consulate allow name split with help of an affidavit only which state person with
Given Name -Davinder Singh
and
First Name -Davinder
surnamer-Singh
are the same person .
they call it name split where as there is no such thing as Name split exist in canada.

Thanks
In this case, consult a good lawyer to get his/her opinion before filling the forms.

fromleo

Jun 13, 2018
Dear Members

First Name- Davinder
Last Name-Singh

Hey Bro,
same situation here.
Can you suggest me as you went through same issue a year ago.

Saskgirl2017

Nov 6, 2017
Hey Bro,
same situation here.
Can you suggest me as you went through same issue a year ago.
I had the same situation. All my names entered as my Surname.

If i understood correctly, your name on your landing document is Davinder Singh all in the surname line?

If that is the case you need to apply for a certificate of name change in the province where you live. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOUR NEW INDIAN PASSPORT HAS YOUR NAMES SPLIT.

Once you have a certificate of name change, you will then have to update your health card and drivers licence with this change (As i assume these documents currently have all your names as surname?). After which all three documents will have to be sent to IRCC.

In the meantime you can proceed with your application and send these documents to IRCC later once you have a file number (recieve an AOR). Or, you can wait for the documents prior to applying. However, keep in mind it could take up to two months if not more to get the certificate of name change and updating your DL and Health Card.

nancyjean

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019

Here is an example:

Hi, I am going to renew my passport tomorrow and I want to split my name. My full name is in given names. I want to split it to both given and surnames. Do I have to provide any supporting documents? Since my passport had only one name all my documents have only one name. I am going to apply for BOWP and PR and I dont want my name to be one. Please advice.

sukhimicrobio

Dec 3, 2014
Windsor
Hi, I am also in the same situation. I do not have surname and my name Sukhvinder Singh is in place of surname in Candian documents.
Do I need to apply for name change in my province first? Or do I also need to apply for name split with Indian consulate?
Please suggest me the process, it will be helpful to many more applicants, as it is very common problem and everyone struggle to find the exact process.
Also, can you inform if Canadian passport accepts the Singh as surname? Because I was told by service Canada that Singh is very common and do not accept is as Surname or last name.

Thank you.
Regards,
Sukhvinder

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Hi, I am also in the same situation. I do not have surname and my name Sukhvinder Singh is in place of surname in Candian documents.
Do I need to apply for name change in my province first? Or do I also need to apply for name split with Indian consulate?
Please suggest me the process, it will be helpful to many more applicants, as it is very common problem and everyone struggle to find the exact process.
Also, can you inform if Canadian passport accepts the Singh as surname? Because I was told by service Canada that Singh is very common and do not accept is as Surname or last name.

Thank you.
Regards,
Sukhvinder
This may be helpful in your case.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split-in-passport-copr-and-pr-card.394798/

aslamh63

Jan 30, 2022
Hi, I am going to renew my passport tomorrow and I want to split my name. My full name is in given names. I want to split it to both given and surnames. Do I have to provide any supporting documents? Since my passport had only one name all my documents have only one name. I am going to apply for BOWP and PR and I dont want my name to be one. Please advice.
hey any update on your situation.