+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Girlfriend's LMO expires September. What should we do?

AlbertaCowboy

Jul 12, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen. I was born and raised in Canada. My girlfriend has been working in Canada for nearly 2 years. However, her employer has really gave her the runaround, in terms of extending her LMO. She works at a fast food restaurant right now, and first brought up the issue of extending her LMO for another 2 years. Her employer sat on it for months, then informed her it was denied on Monday.

This is taking place in Alberta, where there is a huge shortage of workers in the industry. She is also trying for a caregiver position. Does which province you are in matter, since Alberta is booming, and needs foreign workers to fill these jobs, or does it not matter? Also, how can I help her appeal, or find a new LMO before it is too late (September)? Would I need a lawyer? Is there anything I can do to sponsor her, as a Canadian citizen? Please help.

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
AlbertaCowboy said:
I am a Canadian citizen. I was born and raised in Canada. My girlfriend has been working in Canada for nearly 2 years. However, her employer has really gave her the runaround, in terms of extending her LMO. She works at a fast food restaurant right now, and first brought up the issue of extending her LMO for another 2 years. Her employer sat on it for months, then informed her it was denied on Monday.

This is taking place in Alberta, where there is a huge shortage of workers in the industry. She is also trying for a caregiver position. Does which province you are in matter, since Alberta is booming, and needs foreign workers to fill these jobs, or does it not matter? Also, how can I help her appeal, or find a new LMO before it is too late (September)? Would I need a lawyer? Is there anything I can do to sponsor her, as a Canadian citizen? Please help.
"If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.", see CIC site about family sponsorship.

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
Hi

The province does not matter. The TFWP is tied to the employer, if it expires it needs the employer to apply and obtain a new LMO and then she would need to file for a new permit.

Check out the CIC site for options but I would say these are limited, or at the very least the process would take longer than Eeptember.

Thx

A

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
AlbertaCowboy said:

If you are common-law (lived together continuously for 12 months) or if you get married, you could sponsor her for PR.

LMOs are now called LMIAs and with the new rules, they are difficult to get, especially for an unskilled fast food position. It now costs an employer $1000 just to apply and the requirements are much stricter.

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's the dillema of a lot of my friends who are TFW, your option now is if you live together for 1 year you can sponsor her as common law, otherwise you might have to marry her and sponsor, or she can apply to change her status from worker to visitor before her work permit expires to buy more time.

logxy

Jun 25, 2014
no way. the point is LMO expiring Sept.

open work permit is issued only after approval in principle for spousal PR application. takes longer than to apply for an LMO