+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GIC Problems in Pakistan

Ahadch3357

Nov 3, 2019
Wazirabad, Pakistan
Category........
CEC
Anyone used CIBC for the GIC? I am trying to send 17k CAD from my USD account through Standard Chartered Bank but payments were returned twice despite following all the instructions as were received. Whenever I approach the CIBC they respond standard emails and not tell me the reasons. The Standard Chartered Bank also says no issues at our end but in my account reasons are "beneficiary bank did not apply" and "account name and number did not match". This GIC has already taken more than a month now and I am also slapped with more than 170USD as charges on account of failed transactions. Any help or support would be appreciated.
Are you transferring from your own account?

razabuneri

Sep 6, 2020
The amount remitted should be from the bank account tilted your name (exactly as per your passport) or could be joint account with parents (not with colleagues or friend or any other) and the name must be matching with passport name. I see no other reason for rejection.

asadmah87

Oct 26, 2019
please check and double check your ACCOUNT TITLE NAME with the SCB, that it matches with the ACCOUNT TITLE AT CIBC, also check in the sending form that the account number matches with the CIBC accoutn number.
Also make sure that your bank convert usd to CAD while sending to the CIBC, as it is an investment account so it is not converted automatically as in the normal transfer. so make sure your bank convert it to CAD and then send it to CIBC.

Sameeh87

Mar 13, 2017
Reason is mentioned "Your name doesn't matching" means the name you have mentioned in CIBC bank online form and in passport and bank must be same. Some one is different you check all.
I checked everything. Everything is the same and accurate as per the CIBC instructions sheet and my passport. Also, previously they refused stating that "Beneficiary Bank did not apply". If this was negligence from the Standard Charted Bank or their Intermediary bank, I already have written them.

Sameeh87

Mar 13, 2017
please check and double check your ACCOUNT TITLE NAME with the SCB, that it matches with the ACCOUNT TITLE AT CIBC, also check in the sending form that the account number matches with the CIBC accoutn number.
Also make sure that your bank convert usd to CAD while sending to the CIBC, as it is an investment account so it is not converted automatically as in the normal transfer. so make sure your bank convert it to CAD and then send it to CIBC.
I checked everything. I have the copy of the receipt that bank gave me after the transfer of funds and the instruction sheet that CIBC sent. Both are same and there is not a single change either in Title or Ac Number. Even I shared with others and they confirmed that both have the same details.

Sameeh87

Mar 13, 2017
The amount remitted should be from the bank account tilted your name (exactly as per your passport) or could be joint account with parents (not with colleagues or friend or any other) and the name must be matching with passport name. I see no other reason for rejection.
I have the SCB account on my name no other person is involved. I also sent them my passport copy.

Khurrammalik

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
I have the SCB account on my name no other person is involved. I also sent them my passport copy.
Email cbic and demand the details on the incoming wire transfer, so they can show you the details that are mismatched. My payment was declined too with scotia bank, reason being my address did not match. ( the actual problem was that even tho the fc account had the address i sent to scotia but ubl when sending the address which was written on my first account with them, hence the mismatch) maybe thats the problem at your end too. I suggest you to demand the details from cbic and if they dont oblige i suggest going with scotia as their customer reps are very helpful

Sameeh87

Mar 13, 2017
Email cbic and demand the details on the incoming wire transfer, so they can show you the details that are mismatched. My payment was declined too with scotia bank, reason being my address did not match. ( the actual problem was that even tho the fc account had the address i sent to scotia but ubl when sending the address which was written on my first account with them, hence the mismatch) maybe thats the problem at your end too. I suggest you to demand the details from cbic and if they dont oblige i suggest going with scotia as their customer reps are very helpful
Thank you. Yes, that could also be the reason for rejection. But this time, after my complain I received the call from CIBC. They have confirmed that the Instruction sheet had issues and I was provided with a wrong account number, They have agreed to compensate for the incurred loss. I hope this time it works as they have sent instructions over email directly.

Khurrammalik

Star Member
Sep 9, 2020
Thank you. Yes, that could also be the reason for rejection. But this time, after my complain I received the call from CIBC. They have confirmed that the Instruction sheet had issues and I was provided with a wrong account number, They have agreed to compensate for the incurred loss. I hope this time it works as they have sent instructions over email directly.
Thats great to hear, i wish you luck

gr8ninja18

Oct 5, 2020
Update Meezan Bank is now offering GIC from PKR and their transaction charges is less (only 6000 rs) as compared to Habib Metro (16000 rs) so I will recommend to go to Meezan bank.

Following is my experience with the GIC transaction.
Received Masters Admission in Mid Feb
Pakistani Side
Bank Alfalah
First opened Dollar account in Bank Alfalah due to some reference in the bank. It took 3 weeks to open the account. They refused my request to add Pakistani address in the beneficiary address even when I displayed them the instructions from the bank. Also they were forcing the 5% tax on me.
At this moment Canada Lock down started and I stopped the transaction.
I started doing research on the following banks by visiting them.

Main Questions
Do you have experience with GIC, Will you charge tax and can beneficiary address be Pakistani.

Meezan Bank. Had experience with transaction but were charging 5% tax.

HBL. Did not have experience with the transaction but were giving positive response to other questions. And they had a 6-month cash hold time before any transaction could be done. This can be avoided with links.

Faisal Bank. Did not have experience with the transaction (when I visited them) but were giving positive response to other questions.

Allied Bank. Did not have experience with the transaction (when I visited them) but were giving positive response to other questions.

Standard Chartered Bank. Did not have experience with the transaction but were giving positive response to other questions. However, their account opening was weird. They required a check of $500 for initial deposit.

Habib Metropolitan bank. Had experience with transaction but were charging 5% tax. Also they did transaction from PKR also. No other bank was willing to do so.

After deferring my admission, I opened my account in Faisal bank as they were charging no Tax. Before depositing the initial amount, I double checked that will they add code ISBO 2020 in field F70 as required by CIBC. They immediately said we will not do this transaction. Weeks ago, our head office rejected this because they said Pakistani can not invest in other countries.

At this point I found out that the 5% tax had been waived off

I went straight to Habib metropolitan Bank (Update Meezan Bank is now offering transaction from PKR and is cheaper less transaction charges). Opened my account in one week and got my GIC after submitting the form in 2.5 days.

Canada Side

Scotia Bank. Good response to queries via online portal. However I was told by a visa consultant ( doing my case on my own just asked for their experience as they are friends) that all scotia transaction they saw had been rejected once due to some mistake. (very strict policy)

Habib Canadian Bank. Best option if staying in Toronto as they have only 3 branches in Canada all in Toronto. And since it is a sister concern of Habib metropolitan (both owned by AG Zurich) there will be less transaction charges. However, they do not pick up calls and reply to emails very late. Which is why I could not confirm if I could access my money from different cities and if there will be charges.

Why I chose CIBC. Do not be fooled by their no service charges for transaction is USD. Their conversion rate is so high that it will cost you more than 10200 cad in the end. However, Their CAD option is 10150Cad which is 50 Cad less than other banks. Also if you use referral program you and the person who will refer you will receive 25 CAD additional (PM/ inbox me if you want email for referral). This is a total of 75 CAD savings. Also they issue GIC very quickly. I got mine in less than 12 hours after sending the money. This can also be seen in posts by other users in this group.

Extra Note. They allow transaction from joint account only if you send them copy of your passport, copy of other joint account holder passport and a bank document stating you both have a joint account. They have a deadline for all transactions, and they say that ignore deadline on CAD transaction. However if your transaction expires it is better to login and start a new transaction (previous transaction will have expired written on it)

So in short for quick, cheap and hassle free experience I will recommend to go to (Update Meezan Bank is more cheaper and also doing transaction from PKR account) . Transaction from pkr will be cheaper than dollar account as you will have to first pay conversion rate on PKR to USD and then on conversion of USD to CAD instead of PKR to CAD only. For Canada side I will recommend CIBC for quick service or Habib Canadian only if you will live in Toronto.

Reactions: canada11

Hassan Mian

Oct 21, 2020
Is it necessary to perform GIC transaction through foreign currency account or I can perform this through a simple pkr account ?

gr8ninja18

Oct 5, 2020
you can do it from pkr account. But many banks dont know the procedure or are hesitant due to lack of experience. i will recommend to go to Meezan bank and open a new pkr account because they have experience in GIC