+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GIC 1st credit before classes start?

Jan 18, 2018
Hello.
I have done my GIC through SBI Canada. I will be arriving in Canada in late Dec and my classes will be starting from 7th Jan.
I have heard some rumors that the bank does not give you the 1st installment credit before the start of your classes. Is this true?

Jan 18, 2018
Check your agreement with SBI
the agreement does not mention anything about the start of the classes. it only says "1st visit when you open your account, 2000 will be transferred from your gic to your account"
so i should assume that no need for the classes to start. right?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
the agreement does not mention anything about the start of the classes. it only says "1st visit when you open your account, 2000 will be transferred from your gic to your account"
so i should assume that no need for the classes to start. right?
After landing just visit SBI branch to activate your account and 1st installment should be ready to withdraw. Didn't they gave you debit card and PIN after you applied for GIC?

At least with ICICI they give debit card and PIN in approx 2 weeks after opening GIC. Upon reaching Canada and activating it (either in branch or using android/ios app) the installment can be withdrawn using debit card at any merchant approved ATMs. I don't think SBI should be any different than that. Otherwise call their customer care.