+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GF Moving to Canada as a Nurse

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been looking around and it seems nearly impossible. Registering with the CNO requires you to either have a work permit or be a PR/Citizen of Canada which I don't understand how its possible? All of the job postings require you to be registered with the CNO so I dont see how you can get an offer without being certified in the province.
Perhaps it's an Ontario thing. Have seen some prairie provinces that are looking to hire nurses through a work permit but not sure/how they get licensed before the job offer. Healthcare varies greatly between provinces.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
I think she has a good chance of getting a work permit to be a nurse in Ontario. There is a high demand. The work permit would allow her to live and work in Ontario, and you guys can choose to apply for PR either way, via her and her job, or via spousal sponsor. I heard that applying through the job is much faster, but that could just be a rumor.

CaliMoon123

Aug 12, 2020
Hello,

Some background information on us... I am currently a 23 year old male (Canadian citizen residing around Toronto) with a background in Civil Engineering. I met a girl online in April of 2014 and we ended up meeting in August 2014. She is 24, a citizen of the USA living around Columbus, Ohio with a background in nursing. She has finished her bachelors of nursing at a university down in Ohio. She has about 2 years of relevant experience as a Registered Nurse in the state of Ohio.

My girlfriend is moving in with me this month in order to start the one year process for sponsorship under common law. We have enough money to keep us afloat for a while but she doesn't want to be out of work for too long so we have been looking at options for work permits... it seems the only option that there would be is the Federal Skilled Worker program which she may barely qualify for and I hear that it is extremely competitive so it seems like a stretch.. What other options would there be for getting a work permit?

She has had her bachelor degree credential assessed by the ECA and is currently having her nursing credentials assessed by the NNAS to become certified in Ontario. Once NNAS gives her authority to register to the College of Nurses of Ontario would she be able to apply for jobs then?

I am making this post looking for some guidance if anyone has any experience immigrating from the USA as a nurse to Ontario. We have been looking through all of this information online and its pretty damn confusing, any advice would be appreciated.
what ended up happening with you and your GF?

mdav922

Sep 4, 2018
what ended up happening with you and your GF?
Hey she is actually still living with me now. She ended up getting an IEC work visa which actuallly expires in a couple days but through IEC she ended up finding an employer willing to offer her a job for a closed work permit. We plan on going through sponsorship or express entry for PR.