+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting work permit by flagpoling

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
My wife is on an Open Work Permit because I am on a student permit. Her employer is making LMIA for her. My question is: can she go to the border with the US to get her new Closed Work Permit by flagpoling when she gets an LMIA and job offer? Is it necessary to cross the border only by car or can you walk through the border? Does flagpoling cause some trouble in the future for her going to the US? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife is on an Open Work Permit because I am on a student permit. Her employer is making LMIA for her. My question is: can she go to the border with the US to get her new Closed Work Permit by flagpoling when she gets an LMIA and job offer? Is it necessary to cross the border only by car or can you walk through the border? Does flagpoling cause some trouble in the future for her going to the US? Thank you!
It depends on the border crossing. Some allow pedestrians and some do not. I would also encourage you to call the border you plan to use to check on their work permit processing times. Some are only open during small windows or have caps in place and stop accepting more people once a daily cap is reached. Note that she should bring evidence to show she qualifies for the job being offered such as her previous work experience / education to back up the work permit application.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Thank you for your reply. Does she need all the application papers ready for a work permit? A processing fee should payed on the border?