+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Work Permit at the Border/Port of entry ?

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if one can apply and get work permit at the border /port of entry when entering Canada?

In case when one is US Permanent Resident with passport from other country ( that would usually need visa for visiting Canada) - can one get Work Permit at port of entry?

Also this would be work permit for volunteering in Canada for a few days and not for paid thing. Not for long term employment or such. But in case one still would need this permit, i wanted to know .

Thanks

Reactions: Alex Nii

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if one can apply and get work permit at the border /port of entry when entering Canada?

In case when one is US Permanent Resident with passport from other country ( that would usually need visa for visiting Canada) - can one get Work Permit at port of entry?

Also this would be work permit for volunteering in Canada for a few days and not for paid thing. Not for long term employment or such. But in case one still would need this permit, i wanted to know .

Thanks
Hi

From what you've said, you don't qualify for a work permit.

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
Hi

From what you've said, you don't qualify for a work permit.
Thanks!

Could you explain what you mean by saying "dont qualify for work permit"?

It is true that the "work" i would do in Canada is unpaid and volunteering for a few days , less than a week. However, i heard someone mentioning work permit for it. It is for position where none gets paid although some can think it is paid but in this example it is not paid.

Last edited:

Alex Nii

Jan 27, 2018
Hello
From your message i only know work permit is obtained from the company you want to work in but not at the border or port of entering. What i knew about the border is to check all your valid document before you enter the country.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks!

Could you explain what you mean by saying "dont qualify for work permit"?

It is true that the "work" i would do in Canada is unpaid and volunteering for a few days , less than a week. However, i heard someone mentioning work permit for it. It is for position where none gets paid although some can think it is paid but in this example it is not paid.

Like i said, im US permanent resident but i hold the passport from different country which would need a visa even for visiting Canada.

As US permament resident, i wanted to know if i can get this work permit at the border, port of entry in case i need it
Work permits aren't just handed out to people. There are requirements that you need to meet to actually qualify.

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
Hello
From your message i only know work permit is obtained from the company you want to work in but not at the border or port of entering. What i knew about the border is to check all your valid document before you enter the country.
Well Canadian goverment is one who issues work permits and Canadian Goverment is at the border /Port of entry. I thought one can apply and get work permit at port of entry too. Sometimes they might ask work permit even for volunteering, which is the weirdest thing.

I would have offer of " work" that is volunteering for a few days from Canadian company .

Last edited:

Alex Nii

Jan 27, 2018
Ohk
But over here in Ghana the border is our check point and work permit is obtained from the company you want to work in. And the government see to it that all document are processed well with ease. Which enable you with free movement to town and other places.
Thank you

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
Ohk
But over here in Ghana the border is our check point and work permit is obtained from the company you want to work in. And the government see to it that all document are processed well with ease. Which enable you with free movement to town and other places.
Thank you

It is different with Canada - you get work permit from the government . Not from the company. In some cases one can get work permit at the border / port of entry too.

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
Work permits aren't just handed out to people. There are requirements that you need to meet to actually qualify.
Thats why i was asking about it. But i dont seem to find an answer here. I dont look for work permit in Canada. I m not into it. I just want to know if volunteering for a few days there would require work permit by their government. Thats all. I wont get paid for volunteering and it is less than a week but someone mentioned work permit for volunteering so i wanted to ask if anyone else had experience with work permit being asked for volunteering for a few days there where none gets paid.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thats why i was asking about it. But i dont seem to find an answer here. I dont look for work permit in Canada. I m not into it. I just want to know if volunteering for a few days there would require work permit by their government. Thats all. I wont get paid for volunteering and it is less than a week but someone mentioned work permit for volunteering so i wanted to ask if anyone else had experience with work permit being asked for volunteering for a few days there where none gets paid.
What exactly are you intending to do in Canada?

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
What exactly are you intending to do in Canada?
I dont intend to do or work anything in Canada. Im not interested in having work permit in Canada. I live in another country and im not interested in real working or living in Canada. I might have a volunteer offer for few days from one Canadian organization to do unpaid , that is, to volunteer there for less than a week. So i wonder if i would need to get work permit even for volunteering for few days. I asked if anyone here had similar experience when needed work permit for unpaid volunteering. In case it would be needed, i wondered if it can be obtained at port of entry because it is just volunteering, im not getting any money from Canada or taking it away from there .

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I dont intend to do or work anything in Canada. Im not interested in having work permit in Canada. I live in another country and im not interested in real working or living in Canada. I might have a volunteer offer for few days from one Canadian organization to do unpaid , that is, to volunteer there for less than a week. So i wonder if i would need to get work permit even for volunteering for few days. I asked if anyone here had similar experience when needed work permit for unpaid volunteering. In case it would be needed, i wondered if it can be obtained at port of entry because it is just volunteering, im not getting any money from Canada or taking it away from there .
And no where in that post did you actually answer the question...

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
And no where in that post did you actually answer the question...
If you don’t know the answer on the question I ask , then don’t reply anything ! Is someone forcing you to reply here ? Instead of mocking someone’s situation by being rude and without knowledge about this , better say you don’t know the answer. I have a good reason I posted this because someone mentioned work permit and you don’t know who.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you don’t know the answer on the question I ask , then don’t reply anything ! Is someone forcing you to reply here ? Instead of mocking someone’s situation by being rude and without knowledge about this , better say you don’t know the answer. I have a good reason I posted this because someone mentioned work permit and you don’t know who.
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE THE NECESSARY INFORMATION TO GET A PROPER ANSWER.

I was trying to help you but I'm done.

KatyKaty

Jan 27, 2018
YOU NEED TO PROVIDE THE NECESSARY INFORMATION TO GET A PROPER ANSWER.

I was trying to help you but I'm done.
I was providing information all the time throughout whole post. Multiple times said how things are and you kept asking the same thing. Like i said, if you dont know the answer, you did not have similar situation with volunteering thing nor know someone who did - dont post anything then.