+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting proof of citizenship

Discussion in 'General - All Canadian Immigration' started by owjadi, Dec 11, 2019.

  1. #1 owjadi, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:34 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    I am hoping you can help me with some advice on getting proof of Canadian citizenship. All avenues I have explored seem to have a dead end or loop back onto forms requiring documents that I do not have. I have never lived in Canada only spending short holidays there. My mother was born in Nova Scotia. My father became a Canadian citizen at the outbreak of WW2 to join the Canadian Air Force. He was an Australian born citizen. I now also hold Australian citizenship but live in Thailand.

    In brief, my parents were Canadian citizens and I was issued with a Canadian passport as a child in 1967. I still have the passport.

    In the passport it states that I am a citizen by registration of birth abroad, certificate no.xxxxx. But I do not have the certificate.

    As a young man I applied for a Canadian passport but was refused because of the laws at that time (subsequently amended in 2009).

    I have copies of my birth certificate that state my parents Canadian citizenship, but these are UK documents.

    It seems that I need, at least, one of my parents birth certificates to complete any application form. This I do not have they and they are both deceased.

    What (if any) options do I have to continue my efforts to re-establish my citizenship?

    Thank you in advance for your assistance
  2. I believe you could try to apply for a replacement certificate, with the reason being that the original was lost, since you still have the certificate number in your old passport of your birth from abroad registration, which would also be your citizenship certificate number. You should fall under Scenario 1 of the application checklist.

    Otherwise, you would have to try and apply for your mother's birth certificate from Service Nova Scotia. Alternatively, you could try to do a search for your father's citizenship record, and if successful, to apply for his citizenship certificate to support your claim. However, if you do apply via the parental route, your application for your first certificate might get rejected on the grounds that you were already issued citizenship from being registered when you were born, then you might be told to re-apply for a replacement instead.
  3. #3 owjadi, Dec 12, 2019 at 1:21 AM
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Thank you for the courtesy of a prompt reply.

    Yes, these are the avenues I have explored. Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary parents documents and I don't have the authority to apply for a copy of my mothers birth certificate. To get my Registration of Birth Abroad document requires the same documents as proof of citizenship. The only glimmer of hope is requesting my fathers citizenship record. But not knowing the exact year of his entry (early ww2 years) into Canada leaves me doubtful of success.

    The catch 22 is that I need to prove I am a Canadian citizen to get my RBA document (that would surely confirm the issue from documents I have in my possession), but I need the RBA document to prove I am a Canadian citizen. It seems to be designed that way.

    I was hoping there may be another method of arbitration, as I only have documents relating to myself (minus the RBA document).

    Again, Thank You.
  4. Have you tried contacting Service Nova Scotia and asking if you can acquire her birth certificate because she is deceased and you are her next-of-kin? Just because it is not mentioned in the instructions does not mean that it is absolute.

    Have you also tried doing a citizenship records search of yourself? You said you have your RBA number in your old passport; that number should also be your citizenship number. Attach a copy of the old passport page with the RBA number with your application, and write a thorough explanation in section 5.

    I still believe that applying for a replacement certificate would be the most straightforward path for you; you already have your RBA number. You would definitely want to attach a copy of your old passport with your application, and include a letter of explanation. Any information you do not know, the instructions tell you to write 'unknown'. Most likely, your application will be sent to Program Support, so expect a very long processing time from when you receive your Acknowledgment of Receipt and/or Letter of Delay until when they contact you for more information or approve your application. It might take a while, but they will make every effort to establish or dismiss the fact that you are a Canadian citizen; that is what Program Support is for. Good luck.
    armoured likes this.
  5. Is there a reason you are trying to come back to Canada? Assume you are over 65 at this point. Unless you have saved a lot of money it would be very hard to live in Canada. Your pension would be minimal because you never worked or lived in Canada. Seniors with full pensions from the government are often dependent on food pantries and other things to get by and you would receive less.
  6. I got my mom's birth certificate without any trouble to use for my Proof of Citizenship (USA born, mother was born in Canada, lost her Canadian citizenship at 12 years old I think it was when her dad, my granddad, became a Naturalized US Citizen in 1941). And yes, I was able to get my Citizenship and now passport due to the new laws of the past few years, and with the help here like from Hawk above.

    If I remember (it's been a little over a year now) you just need the application (for your mom's birth cert), your birth cert, and I think a death cert of your mom. The only snag was that there were misspellings/typos on my mom's birth cert and was asked if I wanted them changed in the "system." I said to just keep them as they were as when my Proof of Citizenship Cert App was to be reviewed, they would see the typos on my mom's birth cert that I was to submit and in their system; so there shouldn't be a problem--there wasn't.
  7. Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement.
  8. #8 owjadi, Dec 14, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Reasons are purely family related, personal but genuine. I have not stated I am trying to move to Canada and this is not the case. I intent to remain in S.E. Asia as I love the people and the warm climate. If I am forced to leave because of health issues, I think the only logical choice would be back to
    Australia. Fortunately finance is not a problem as I have 40 years of Australian superannuation plus I qualify for an Australian pension if needed (even if living overseas). I hope you do not read into this any lessening of my affection and connection to Canada. Thank You.

Share This Page