+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting promoted on a work visa!

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Hi there,

I moved to Canada from the UK a few months ago as part of a company transfer and I'm on a work permit through the global skills programme.

My company wants to promote me to a manager level, but within the same occupation. They're concerned that I may have to change my work visa, and I just wondered if anyone has any views, or have been through this before? I note that on my work permit, it states my occupation, but not my level or job role.

Thanks!

Elliot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I moved to Canada from the UK a few months ago as part of a company transfer and I'm on a work permit through the global skills programme.

My company wants to promote me to a manager level, but within the same occupation. They're concerned that I may have to change my work visa, and I just wondered if anyone has any views, or have been through this before? I note that on my work permit, it states my occupation, but not my level or job role.

Thanks!

Elliot
Yes they’d need a new WP. They applied based on your current position.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Yes they’d need a new WP. They applied based on your current position.
Even if my actual occupation isn't changing? Just my level in the organisation...

If so, I was on the global skills programme and my work permit took two weeks, is it easy to get a new WP?

Thanks for your help,

Elliot