+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting pregnant while on Student Visa

Dileepa

Nov 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

My wife has applied for a two year degree program in Canada, Toronto commencing from next year, May 2018. And I am planning to go with her as her dependent. Hope I would get the two years working visa as her dependent. By the way we got married last year and still we are not expecting a baby until she finishes her studies. But in any case if she gets pregnant in Canada while she is on her student visa,

1) Can we request from the college/ university to continue her studies after the child delivery (maternity leave only for around her delivery period like 3 months)?

2) What will happened to her student visa, if she gets maternity leave for the child delivery?

3) Are there any possibilities based on the current government rules, to get canceled her student visa and might have to return to our home country for the delivery?

4) If it so, since at that time I might be on my working visa with a job, can we stay in Canada until the child delivery and continue her studies after that?

Health Insurance benefits, Delivery cost & Child citizenship are not matters to us a lot since we could bare those expenses. My main concern is what would happened to her student visa, my dependent work visa while she is on her pregnancy period.

It is highly appreciated, if someone could answer for the above questions that I have on my mind currently. Please be kind enough to help us to clear those questions.

Thank You.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Her student visa will be automatically canceled once she stops attending school for more than 90 days. So she will want to change her status to visitor before that happens and will then have to reapply for a study permit once she's ready to start school again. The other issue I see is her PGWP. Your studies have to be continuous in order for you to qualify for a PGWP. I don't think she will meet that criteria if she takes time off. So that may make it more difficult for you to get PR.

Your work permit will remain valid.

pariuppa

Nov 24, 2019
Her student visa will be automatically canceled once she stops attending school for more than 90 days. So she will want to change her status to visitor before that happens and will then have to reapply for a study permit once she's ready to start school again. The other issue I see is her PGWP. Your studies have to be continuous in order for you to qualify for a PGWP. I don't think she will meet that criteria if she takes time off. So that may make it more difficult for you to get PR.

Your work permit will remain valid.
If she manages to join the course in less than 90 days leave will that still make a problem ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she manages to join the course in less than 90 days leave will that still make a problem ??
Only if that 90 days happens on a scheduled break when everyone else in the program isn't studying either. Otherwise, no - she will not qualify for a PGWP. To qualify for a PGWP, your studies have to be continuous.