+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting passport without citizenship certificate

rajeev12

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Is there any possibility of getting a passport without citizenship certificate? I really need to travel in December. I had my oath in the second week of September, but IRCC hasn't sent me my certificate and are just completely ignoring me now. I have asked my MP for help, but in the past MPs have not done anything for me. Is there any way to get a passport without the certificate?

testNewPlace

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Assuming from your username that you are from India... if you have US visitor visa, you can get to the Canadian Border by road and prove your citizenship with a DL to the agent... you may not be able to board a direct flight since you dont have a visa to enter Canada.

PS: India allows you to use your indian passport for 3 months if you get other citizenship.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1-1

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Is there any possibility of getting a passport without citizenship certificate? I really need to travel in December. I had my oath in the second week of September, but IRCC hasn't sent me my certificate and are just completely ignoring me now. I have asked my MP for help, but in the past MPs have not done anything for me. Is there any way to get a passport without the certificate?
Unfortunately, no. Send an email to the same email ID you received your oath letter from and ask them about the status of your citizenship certificate.

Remember, generally, you cannot enter Canada without a Canadian passport once you are a Canadian citizen. Even if you travel to the US with your Indian passport and then attempt to enter Canada by road, the officer might still ask to see your citizenship certificate at a minimum before letting you enter Canada so you don't want to take that risk.

I hope that you receive your certificate soon. Once you do, you can apply for Express service and get your passport soon!

Wish you the best, keep us posted.

Reactions: abbas.pasha

rajeev12

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Thank you for your replies. I am feeling hopeless as I have sent multiple emails but I'm just being ignored by everyone. I don't know what to do. Not sure if my MP will be of any help either. Still waiting for a response from the MP.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
They say if you don't receive your certificate in 6 weeks to call them. It's been more than 6 weeks. Maybe it's lost in the mail. Call the call center early tomorrow by phone.

justanotherguy28

Star Member
Sep 28, 2021
Thank you for your replies. I am feeling hopeless as I have sent multiple emails but I'm just being ignored by everyone. I don't know what to do. Not sure if my MP will be of any help either. Still waiting for a response from the MP.

As CaBeaver says you should call them so you can have a two way conversation. Ask them what could be the reasons if someone hasn't received a certificate for this long and if it could be lost in mail and what they do if it's lost in mail and explain your travel urgency and you don't want to be stranded in a foreign country.

Also keep trying with the emails. It's extremely likely it's lost in mail since there are not many posts complaining of not having citizenship certificate for this long after oath.

Not sure if MPs are going to be of much help.

---------------------------------------
Here,

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=048&top=5

it says, if *you* lost your certificate, the only way forward is to apply for a new certificate which will take a long time (15 months per their tracker). (But if you've never received it, I don't think it can be considered lost, at least *you* didn't lose it.)

There is also an urgent option. I don't know if there's any data on how long that takes.

This is just a thought process. I WOULDN'T BRING THIS UP WITH AN IRCC AGENT AT THIS TIME. Then they might just say "oh yeah, you need to apply for a new certificate".
-----------------------------------------

Ultimately, you are already a Canadian citizen. If you really, really have to travel, and this situation hasn't progressed very much at the time of your departure, the only thing you can do is to gather as much documentation as you can that proves your Canadian residency and citizenship (Drivers license, health card, destroyed PR card, all communications with IRCC during the application process, oath ceremony pictures & documentation etc) and then file a temporary passport request at the Canadian Embassy of your destination country. There is no telling how long those processes would take without a certificate but that's the last resort option.

Good thing is you still have some time. If you try every avenue possible while you are still in Canada, you might get an answer.

rajeev12

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Thank you for the responses. I have been calling the call center as well and they have been giving me conflicting information. Some agents said I should just email and wait more, one agent said it was previously mailed and I should email them and let them know that I didn't receive one and they'll send a new one. Today I got a response by web form that I should submit a solemn declaration and I'll get a new certificate in six more weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Thank you for the responses. I have been calling the call center as well and they have been giving me conflicting information. Some agents said I should just email and wait more, one agent said it was previously mailed and I should email them and let them know that I didn't receive one and they'll send a new one. Today I got a response by web form that I should submit a solemn declaration and I'll get a new certificate in six more weeks.
Another example of IRCC incompetency. No one knows anything. It's obvious they say to contact them after 6 weeks, and you did. There should be a well-defined procedure when you don't receive your certificate in 6 weeks.