+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting parental EI on study permit

Ivavla

Jan 12, 2020
Hello!
My current open work permit expires in June, 2020 and we are expecting our baby in May this year. I've completed the minimum amount of hours for EI. But after June I will have only a study permit. Will I still qualify for parental EI payments having a valid study permit or I need a new work permit? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!
My current open work permit expires in June, 2020 and we are expecting our baby in May this year. I've completed the minimum amount of hours for EI. But after June I will have only a study permit. Will I still qualify for parental EI payments having a valid study permit or I need a new work permit? Thanks
How do you have a study permit if you’ve been on a workpermit.

I think the answer is no but would need more details.

Ivavla

Jan 12, 2020
That's simple. I had a two year open work permit that is expiring in June. And I decided to stay in Canada and get Canadian education. So applied for school and now waiting for a study permit for summer semester.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's simple. I had a two year open work permit that is expiring in June. And I decided to stay in Canada and get Canadian education. So applied for school and now waiting for a study permit for summer semester.
Was it a PGWP? Have you been accepted into your program and received the permit?

If you child is due in May how will you do the summer semester that usually starts in May.

Do you have a Canadian partner or spouse? Have you applied for PR?

Ivavla

Jan 12, 2020
My wife got LMIA based WP as a skilled worker so I got an open WP.
My question was if you can still qualify for EI if your working status expires but you still have legal status to stay in Canada? If so, I could postpone my studies, start in September and spend few months with a newborn. Thanks for your assumption and attempt to help but my family situation and plans are just details. The main question still stays unclear for me. So if noone can answer by Monday I will call service Canada and get an answer from them.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you have a valid social insurance number, you may be eligible for maternity and parental benefits.

If you plan to travel outside of Canada, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to find out how this may impact your situation.
Interesting question. I believe the issue will be whether you have a valid SIN number after your OWP permit expires. One of the requirements for non citizens is a valid SIN. You may not be eligible. The other issue may be the fact you won’t be returning to work after the parental leave. It all sounds fairly complex. I’d contact service Canada directly.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-maternity-parental/eligibility.html

Reactions: Ivavla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife got LMIA based WP as a skilled worker so I got an open WP.
My question was if you can still qualify for EI if your working status expires but you still have legal status to stay in Canada? If so, I could postpone my studies, start in September and spend few months with a newborn. Thanks for your assumption and attempt to help but my family situation and plans are just details. The main question still stays unclear for me. So if noone can answer by Monday I will call service Canada and get an answer from them.
The details were necessary to answer the question. I don’t believe you will qualify for EI after your work permit expires. Still unsure if you have the study permit. As mentioned before you will not be a student or on a work permit. You have deferred your schooling until September. This is a very specific case and it also depends on whether you get a study permit for the summer session. Your pregnancy could also be flagged to coincide with the start of your studies. Depending on what your partner is doing you also may not have healthcare either during your postpartum period.

Ivavla

Jan 12, 2020
The details were necessary to answer the question. I don’t believe you will qualify for EI after your work permit expires. Still unsure if you have the study permit. As mentioned before you will not be a student or on a work permit. You have deferred your schooling until September. This is a very specific case and it also depends on whether you get a study permit for the summer session. Your pregnancy could also be flagged to coincide with the start of your studies. Depending on what your partner is doing you also may not have healthcare either during your postpartum period.
Don't make the situation more complicated than it really is. Please, read carefully. I've applied for SP and it is in process of approval. I never mentioned that I had deferred my schooling yet. Just thinking if I can start later and spend time with a newborn. That's why collecting info. I am sure when I contact Service Canada they don't need all this information. ✌ Thanks though

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I am sure when I contact Service Canada they don'tneed all this information.
Careful with assumptions that you don’t have to disclose all the information relevant to the situation to service Canada. You don’t want to find yourself in a situation where they determine you have mislead them by not including relevant facts if they do approve you for EI. They may come back and demand repayment of what they have paid out. They don’t have a reputation as a particularly compassionate agency.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Don't make the situation more complicated than it really is. Please, read carefully. I've applied for SP and it is in process of approval. I never mentioned that I had deferred my schooling yet. Just thinking if I can start later and spend time with a newborn. That's why collecting info. I am sure when I contact Service Canada they don't need all this information. ✌ Thanks though
That is incorrect, you are required to be totally forthcoming with ALL information when you are applying for social benefits
Don’t be naive please
And your claim would more than likely would not be auto approved . It would have to be sent to adjudication to be looked into . Why wouldn’t you disclose all pertinent information ? Why possibly make it more difficult ? I guess different strokes for different folks
It’s a government agency , giving out government funds . If after the fact your claim is sent to audit aka Integrity, and found you were not entitled to said benefits you will have to repay all said benefits plus higher hours to qualify in the future

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
And you careful with assumptions that I try to mislead someone
For someone coming here for free advice, you're awfully hostile.

If you get a study permit and then defer your studies you may not actually have status in Canada between the expiry of your WP and your study permits effective date. You only have status while you are a full time student. You don't get status during the deferral.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Going through the application, it’s doubtful you will receive benefits. Looks like a valid work permit is required.

• your Social Insurance Number (SIN) - if your SIN begins with a 9, you will need to provide proof of your immigration status and work permit;

Reactions: Ivavla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!
You will only qualify for EI while you hold a valid work permit. Once your work permit expires, the benefits will stop.

Holding a valid work permit is a requirement to qualify for payments.