+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting my would wife to Canada - Quickest Route

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Could you be more specific ? I do not understand.
Obviously they are not PR or citizens yet; otherwise why would they apply for a PR ?
The PA is married to a Canadian citizen. The PA has a child with the Canadian citizen. They’ve been married for many years. Why the PA’s visa is being denied ? I’m listening.
You are posting in the family sponsorship section where one spouse is a PR or citizen.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. So ?
I am giving examples of when one spouse is a PR or citizen because we are posting under the family sponsorship category. If you want information about why spouses may not be getting TRVs when one spouse is on a WP or SP you should post under that thread.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
Ignore the processing time. It's a backward looking measure which due to covid doesn't mean much (and again, most are not being processed at all).

You apply outland and TRV, and hope they go quickly. Some do get approved. You can apply more than once for trv.
would a rejected trv damage chances of spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
would a rejected trv damage chances of spousal sponsorship
Generally no.

The cases I'm aware of are where the applicant has misled, not been honest, or worst of all outright misrepresented - generally in context of making repeated attempts to get to Canada with different pretexts, often prior to the relationship. (Or just many TRV refusals beforehand might look the same)

That's because it will make the marriage seem primarily an attempt to get to Canada and hence possibly not a genuine relationship. (Obviously there are a lot of other reasons for refusal or more deep scrutiny of a PR app, I'm moslty referring to issues related to the TRV refusal - but I'm sure there are other potential complications I'm not thinking of right now)

But for an applicant who applies to visit spouse and is open about the relationship, a refusal should not negatively impact the PR app. Since those non-immediate family exemptions are quite limited (i.e. to get TRV, have to show you have immediate family right now), it's sort of a moot point.

In non-covid times I'd include the importance of disclosing a fiancé or plan to get married or even a serious relationship, but again, not a viable option right now.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Hi @his*marty , @canuck78 , @armoured ,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs so far.

I had another question(which I am just thinking out loud, maybe) - Is there a way to have a student VISA filed for a course at one of the colleges in Canada. And then have the dependent spousal application filed at the same time while the student is in process OR has been approved ?

Please, let me know your thoughts on this ?

Thanks in advance,
Kush

Reactions: his*marty

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @his*marty , @canuck78 , @armoured ,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs so far.

I had another question(which I am just thinking out loud, maybe) - Is there a way to have a student VISA filed for a course at one of the colleges in Canada. And then have the dependent spousal application filed at the same time while the student is in process OR has been approved ?

Please, let me know your thoughts on this ?

Thanks in advance,
Kush
Sure - you can try to do that.

It's generally more difficult to get a study permit approved if you have a spouse who is Canadian.

You'll want to make sure the program selected to study in Canada makes sense in light of the applicant's previous education and work experience. If the person applies for some random one year course, IRCC will suspect the study permit is being used as a means of moving to Canada and the person isn't a genuine student.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Hi @scylla , @armoured , @canuck78 , @his*marty - I got married and should be getting my marriage certificate early next week.

Which of the below do you recommend -
1. Filing for TRV under travellers exempt from restrictions category from India first(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html) and then filing for the Outland PR as soon as I reach back Canada ?
2. Filing for the outland PR after reaching Canada first and then filing for her TRV(under the same category as mentioned in #1).
3. Trying for a student permit with a legit and relevant course(that is aligned with her educational background and work experience in India). And then(with the hope, she gets it), file for her dependent inland PR application ?
4. Any other way ?

I will start putting the documents together starting next week and do not wish to let time slip while I am here in India(until May 30th) from an application that can be put into the system.

P.S - I understand that no one can guarantee anything in these uncertain times, but any advices from you guys would give me some confidence to get on this bumpy ride. :)

Thanks,
Kush

Last edited:

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hi @scylla , @armoured , @canuck78 , @his*marty - I got married and should be getting my marriage certificate early next week.

Which of the below do you recommend -
1. Filing for TRV under travellers exempt from restrictions category from India first(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html) and then filing for the Outland PR as soon as I reach back Canada ?
2. Filing for the outland PR after reaching Canada first and then filing for her TRV(under the same category as mentioned in #1).
3. Trying for a student permit with a legit and relevant course(that is aligned with her educational background and work experience in India). And then(with the hope, she gets it), file for her dependent inland PR application ?
4. Any other way ?

I will start putting the documents together starting next week and do not wish to let time slip while I am here in India(until May 30th) from an application that can be put into the system.

P.S - I understand that no one can guarantee anything in these uncertain times, but any advices from you guys would give me some confidence to get on this bumpy ride. :)

Thanks,
Kush
I think the first question, because I can't tell from your post... are you a PR or not yet? If you're not a PR yet, have you already applied for PR?

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Hi @his*marty , I am the one who started this thread about being able to bring my would be wife to Canada. Now, I have married her and got the marriage certificate and to your Q - Yes, I am a Canadian PR for last 3 years.
Thus, my questions above are in context with the next steps you recommend for my case.

Thanks,
Kush Kawale

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Has she actually applied to and been accepted for an educational program?

You'd have to take into account how long the application/acceptance process would take. And of course, they may look more carefully at an application from a prospective student married to a PR.

So not sure it would be quicker (if she gets accepted and a visa, etc).

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hi @his*marty , I am the one who started this thread about being able to bring my would be wife to Canada. Now, I have married her and got the marriage certificate and to your Q - Yes, I am a Canadian PR for last 3 years.
Thus, my questions above are in context with the next steps you recommend for my case.

Thanks,
Kush Kawale
I understand.

Well, assuming she can get a TRV then you can go ahead and apply for it now and perhaps she'll be lucky, it will be approved and you can travel back to Canada together. When you reach back to Canada you can submit the outland sponsorship. But, I suppose it only makes a difference on how long you plan on still staying in India. Another person mentioned TRV's from India are approved within 2-3 months on average.

ETA: Armoured answered your question about the student visa. Keep in mind, tuition is about 4x the cost it normally would cost a resident of Canada.

Kush.k19

Jan 27, 2020
Thank you @armoured and @his*marty.

I plan to travel back to Canada on May 30th and thus do not feel like wasting the next month and a half(while I am India) to begin any process for her. So, now do you recommend me filing for her TRV(under travellers exempted from restrictions) ? If it takes 3 months(being hopeful) - it can get approved by Jul/Aug. She can come to Canada on TRV and I can file her inland PR in that case ? I know this sounds a little ambitious, would you recommend this ? Also, does TRV rejection going to impact the PR dependent sponsorship application in anyway ?

OR

Going to Canada first and filing for her Outland PR and then post getting initial level of approval, filing for her TRV on the basis of filed PR application ?

Thanks, Kush

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM

I plan to travel back to Canada on May 30th and thus do not feel like wasting the next month and a half(while I am India) to begin any process for her. So, now do you recommend me filing for her TRV(under travellers exempted from restrictions) ? If it takes 3 months(being hopeful) - it can get approved by Jul/Aug. She can come to Canada on TRV and I can file her inland PR in that case ? I know this sounds a little ambitious, would you recommend this ? Also, does TRV rejection going to impact the PR dependent sponsorship application in anyway ?

OR

Going to Canada first and filing for her Outland PR and then post getting initial level of approval, filing for her TRV on the basis of filed PR application ?

Thanks, Kush
I don't think it really matters when you apply for the TRV. If you do it now you'll get TRV quicker assuming they approve it. Make sure you have lots of good evidence that she will return to her home country after the intended visit. She's your wife, so a denial will not affect your PR application either way. I don't think having a PR application in process helps in getting a TRV, because either way they aren't keen on giving them to spouses for risk of overstaying.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

OR

Thanks, Kush
I would file outland as soon as you can and apply for TRV whenever you want (sooner obviously better).

You shouldn't plan on the TRV coming through at all - and since inland depends on that, don't wait to apply.

If the TRV comes through, she can join you while it's in process.

The only thing you're giving up compared to inland is the possible OWP.