+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married while waiting for the Confirmation of PR

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I hope any of you will be able to help me regarding this..

So I got the ITA May 28, 2020 and submitted all documents and paid the fee on July 10, 2020. I had 3 months from the IRCC to finish the process. Due to lockdown in my home country, Indonesia, I had to wait to do my Biometric until November 30, 2020, which the due date was December 1st, 2020. Right now, I am still waiting for the confirmation/approval from IRCC. When I checked on my account, the process will be finished by January 10, 2021, however It did not happen due to COVID-19. Also on the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html), It says that as of 30 March 2021, they are still Finalizing the application submitted on May 24 - 30, 2020.

Since it is very uncertain about the confirmation of the application, I and my fiancee are planning to get married, but we are worried that if we do, the IRCC might hold the application and there is a chance that I will not get the Permanent Residency. I have asked an immigration agency from Indonesia regarding this matters and he was saying the mentioned-possible issues to my permanent residency application.

Does anyone have any idea regarding this? Would it be best for us to get married after I got the confirmation or would it be okay to get married while waiting?

Thank you very much.

P.s the both of us are planning to move to Canada after we get married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I hope any of you will be able to help me regarding this..

So I got the ITA May 28, 2020 and submitted all documents and paid the fee on July 10, 2020. I had 3 months from the IRCC to finish the process. Due to lockdown in my home country, Indonesia, I had to wait to do my Biometric until November 30, 2020, which the due date was December 1st, 2020. Right now, I am still waiting for the confirmation/approval from IRCC. When I checked on my account, the process will be finished by January 10, 2021, however It did not happen due to COVID-19. Also on the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html), It says that as of 30 March 2021, they are still Finalizing the application submitted on May 24 - 30, 2020.

Since it is very uncertain about the confirmation of the application, I and my fiancee are planning to get married, but we are worried that if we do, the IRCC might hold the application and there is a chance that I will not get the Permanent Residency. I have asked an immigration agency from Indonesia regarding this matters and he was saying the mentioned-possible issues to my permanent residency application.

Does anyone have any idea regarding this? Would it be best for us to get married after I got the confirmation or would it be okay to get married while waiting?

Thank you very much.

P.s the both of us are planning to move to Canada after we get married.
If you get married before you land in Canada and get PR, you must notify IRCC and add your spouse to the application (including medicals, PCCs, new forms, etc.). This will add a number of months of processing time to your application but then you will be able to move to Canada together.

Otherwise you need to wait to get married until after you have gotten the COPR and also landed in Canada and become a PR. If you do that, you will need to sponsor your spouse for PR after you get married. This process takes around a year and you must be living in Canada to qualify to sponsor. So going this route may mean you end up being separated for most of a year.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
If you get married before you land in Canada and get PR, you must notify IRCC and add your spouse to the application (including medicals, PCCs, new forms, etc.). This will add a number of months of processing time to your application but then you will be able to move to Canada together.

Otherwise you need to wait to get married until after you have gotten the COPR and also landed in Canada and become a PR. If you do that, you will need to sponsor your spouse for PR after you get married. This process takes around a year and you must be living in Canada to qualify to sponsor. So going this route may mean you end up being separated for most of a year.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean, she has to complete all documents that I did in the beginning with the possibility of more documents? And also the possibility that the whole application will be refused if anything happen?

What would happen if I dont notify IRCC if i get married? Just a hypothetical question, I will definitely avoid doing this.

Another question, the agency that I mentioned said that my future wife can apply for the open work permit once I am a PR so that we dont have to be separated for the whole year (possibly more due to COVID), is that true?

Thank you again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Does that mean, she has to complete all documents that I did in the beginning with the possibility of more documents? And also the possibility that the whole application will be refused if anything happen?

What would happen if I dont notify IRCC if i get married? Just a hypothetical question, I will definitely avoid doing this.

Another question, the agency that I mentioned said that my future wife can apply for the open work permit once I am a PR so that we dont have to be separated for the whole year (possibly more due to COVID), is that true?

Thank you again!
If you fail to notify IRCC about the marriage before landing, this is classified as misrepresentation (lying in an immigration application which is a crime). If you do this, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR. Also, there is some chance IRCC may move to revoke your PR status since you misrepresented your status at landing (i.e. saying you were single when you were in fact married). The main issue is that you will never be able to sponsor your spouse. This will be permanent and there will be no way to fix this.

Yes - if you get married before you become a PR, you will need to submit updated forms to include your spouse. The only reason why there may be any risk of the application being refused is if your spouse has a criminal or serious medial issues that makes them inadmissible.

No - it is not true that your spouse will be able to apply for an open work permit as soon as you are married. To qualify for an open work permit, your spouse would first need to get a TRV approved and then travel to Canada. You would then have to submit an inland spousal sponsorship application along with an OWP application. The OWP application would then be approved around 6-8 months after the full application package is received. But again, this requires your spouse to be in Canada. Not possible to do this from outside of Canada. Your agency should know this. If they don't, they are incompetent. Also, you should be aware that it will likely be difficult for your spouse to get a TRV approved.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
If you fail to notify IRCC about the marriage before landing, this is classified as misrepresentation (lying in an immigration application which is a crime). If you do this, you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR. Also, there is some chance IRCC may move to revoke your PR status since you misrepresented your status at landing (i.e. saying you were single when you were in fact married). The main issue is that you will never be able to sponsor your spouse. This will be permanent and there will be no way to fix this.

Yes - if you get married before you become a PR, you will need to submit updated forms to include your spouse. The only reason why there may be any risk of the application being refused is if your spouse has a criminal or serious medial issues that makes them inadmissible.

No - it is not true that your spouse will be able to apply for an open work permit as soon as you are married. To qualify for an open work permit, your spouse would first need to get a TRV approved and then travel to Canada. You would then have to submit an inland spousal sponsorship application along with an OWP application. The OWP application would then be approved around 6-8 months after the full application package is received. But again, this requires your spouse to be in Canada. Not possible to do this from outside of Canada. Your agency should know this. If they don't, they are incompetent. Also, you should be aware that it will likely be difficult for your spouse to get a TRV approved.

Thank you for the information

I will double check this with the agency, since they siad it is possible.

What would you suggest in order for me and my spouse to stay together? Would you suggest her to get her TRV before marriage ? Get the 5yr TRV and come to canada as visitor? And then sponsor her while she is inland, but her maximum stay per visit would be only 6 months.

If I'd like to sponsor her while she is inland, do you know the requirements for me to sponsor her ? Especially financially and jobs.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the information

I will double check this with the agency, since they siad it is possible.

What would you suggest in order for me and my spouse to stay together? Would you suggest her to get her TRV before marriage ? Get the 5yr TRV and come to canada as visitor? And then sponsor her while she is inland, but her maximum stay per visit would be only 6 months.

If I'd like to sponsor her while she is inland, do you know the requirements for me to sponsor her ? Especially financially and jobs.

Thank you!
The agency should tell you exactly what I have told you about the open work permit. If they say something different, they are either lying to you or don't understand the rules.

I would recommend that you get married now and add your spouse to your application. This is the best way to stay together.

TRVs are taking an extremely long time to process right now in many countries. So this isn't the best plan at this time. Having said that, you can certainly try.

You don't need to have a job to sponsor her inland. However you cannot be taking any social assistance. You must be financially independent.

Reactions: Buletruck

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
The agency should tell you exactly what I have told you about the open work permit. If they say something different, they are either lying to you or don't understand the rules.

I would recommend that you get married now and add your spouse to your application. This is the best way to stay together.

TRVs are taking an extremely long time to process right now in many countries. So this isn't the best plan at this time. Having said that, you can certainly try.

You don't need to have a job to sponsor her inland. However you cannot be taking any social assistance. You must be financially independent.

I guess that is the best option since it still uncertain when I will be getting COPR, but we actually trying to avoid it since her documents might be a little complicated to collect also she has never taken any IELTS or other English tests.
I also assume that if I sponsor her, she would not have to collect a lot of documents about her, or would she ?

Social Assistance including EI, I assume right ?
Do you know the amount of money that they require me to show them?

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020

Hi Scylla,

Another question if we decided to get married now and add my spouse to the application, would that affect my CRS point ? So that i have to wait for our CRS point to reach the minimum requirement?

OR

The point will not be affected and we just have to submit documents for her?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,

Another question if we decided to get married now and add my spouse to the application, would that affect my CRS point ? So that i have to wait for our CRS point to reach the minimum requirement?

OR

The point will not be affected and we just have to submit documents for her?

Thank you
If you have further questions, please post them to the Express Entry section of the forum. This is where these topics are discussed.

sourabh_kehar

Apr 3, 2021

Hello ,
I got my AOR on June 10 2020 and during process on 9th nov I got married and updated to CIC and they add my dependent on 18Th of December and I am still waiting for PR anyone know how much time they will take for this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello ,
I got my AOR on June 10 2020 and during process on 9th nov I got married and updated to CIC and they add my dependent on 18Th of December and I am still waiting for PR anyone know how much time they will take for this.
It was taking 3-4 months before covid. I imagine it's taking much longer now. Recommend you find discussions on this topic in the Express Entry section of the forum.

Reactions: sourabh_kehar

Pau008

Aug 17, 2021
Hi. I just landed in Canada as a PR and as soon as I obtain the PR card, I am planning to leave Canada for a few weeks in order to get married. Is this allowed under the current law because they are saying that we need to come to Canada to settle permanently and not go live elsewhere, even if it's temporary?

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020

Hi there. I still have a few questions.
So i notify the CIC through webform but not updates yet. And now they are asking for my passport to be submitted.

How do I add my spouse to the application? Do i need to create another application in my account for her ?? Or do i wait until cic ask for my spouse's documents ?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there. I still have a few questions.
So i notify the CIC through webform but not updates yet. And now they are asking for my passport to be submitted.

How do I add my spouse to the application? Do i need to create another application in my account for her ?? Or do i wait until cic ask for my spouse's documents ?

Thanks!
As mentioned in my earlier post, go to the Express Entry section of the forum and find the threads regarding adding your spouse to your application. You will get the best advice there.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi. I just landed in Canada as a PR and as soon as I obtain the PR card, I am planning to leave Canada for a few weeks in order to get married. Is this allowed under the current law because they are saying that we need to come to Canada to settle permanently and not go live elsewhere, even if it's temporary?
That will be fine.

If you are only leaving for a few weeks, you're not departing to live elsewhere, you're just travelling.