+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married while waiting for PR

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I hope any of you will be able to help me regarding this..

So I got the ITA May 28, 2020 and submitted all documents and paid the fee on July 10, 2020. I had 3 months from the IRCC to finish the process. Due to lockdown in my home country, Indonesia, I had to wait to do my Biometric until November 30, 2020, which the due date was December 1st, 2020. Right now, I am still waiting for the confirmation/approval from IRCC. When I checked on my account, the process will be finished by January 10, 2021, however It did not happen due to COVID-19. Also on the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html), It says that as of 30 March 2021, they are still Finalizing the application submitted on May 24 - 30, 2020.

Since it is very uncertain about the confirmation of the application, I and my fiancee are planning to get married, but we are worried that if we do, the IRCC might hold the application and there is a chance that I will not get the Permanent Residency. I have asked an immigration agency from Indonesia regarding this matters and he was saying the mentioned-possible issues to my permanent residency application.

Does anyone have any idea regarding this?
Would it be best for us to get married after I got the confirmation or would it be okay to get married while waiting?

If we decide to get married while waiting for the PR, Do i need to re-submitted all of my documents as the Principal Application as well as for my spouse as my dependant? Or is it just my spouse documents that needed to be submitted?

Thank you very much.

P.s the both of us are planning to move to Canada after we get married.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I hope any of you will be able to help me regarding this..

So I got the ITA May 28, 2020 and submitted all documents and paid the fee on July 10, 2020. I had 3 months from the IRCC to finish the process. Due to lockdown in my home country, Indonesia, I had to wait to do my Biometric until November 30, 2020, which the due date was December 1st, 2020. Right now, I am still waiting for the confirmation/approval from IRCC. When I checked on my account, the process will be finished by January 10, 2021, however It did not happen due to COVID-19. Also on the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html), It says that as of 30 March 2021, they are still Finalizing the application submitted on May 24 - 30, 2020.

Since it is very uncertain about the confirmation of the application, I and my fiancee are planning to get married, but we are worried that if we do, the IRCC might hold the application and there is a chance that I will not get the Permanent Residency.
The express entry forum (which is what I think you have applied under) where you should ask these questions is here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/

This forum where you have posted is family class sponsorship, which is what Canadians (already-resident PRs and Canadian citizens) do to sponsor their spouses.

If you wish to sponsor your spouse after you are a PR (after arriving in Canada), this is what you would do. Marrying before you land and become a PR will affect your ongoing application. (Marrying and not declaring your spouse would have very serious consequences)

If you want to bring your spouse 'with you' at the same time as you arrive first, you basically would need to include her in your existing application.

I realise this introduces complications about how to get married after landing, whether she can get a TRV, etc, especially in the time of covid (where she could only enter under certain exemptions such as ... being married).

But please start by finding out how it would affect your ongoing (not yet complete) application. By posting in the relevant forum, link above.