+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married while on a student visa HELP!

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Hello everyone

So first i met this girl through a dating website then we decided to go an a date around july of last year, after months of just talking we officially became a couple on November 10. Since then we have been dating and on August 1 we moved in together, all this while i was a student. My visa expires jan 5 2014 and wont be able to change to visitor or continue my studies because my parents run out of money. Yesterday we both cried about how we are gonna miss each other, i told her that she is welcomed to come with me but the problem is that is hard to find a job in my country so i told her so stay here. We talked about getting married in the next couple weeks so when i leave she can bring me back. She works at tim hortons full time makes minimal wage and has been there for almost 2 months. If we get married is gonna be a tiny wedding just with a couple friends and some family members from her side. Our relationship is legit but we are scared the goverment will think i just want the PR when the truth i just want to be with her!

Do you think if we apply as a spouse we are gonna get approved?

Does the fact that i studied here and got 30 credits in a College in Vancouver makes me more "welcomed"?

Income requirements for sponsoring me?

Can we use pictures from our phones? since the beginning of our relationship we been in canada we dont reallly have skype messages or anything like that. I am leaving just because my visa expires and can't renew it for the lack of funds.

She is 19 and i am 21.

Regards

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/please-i-need-help-t171292.0.html;msg2683360#msg2683360

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Sorry but this case is different because we are thinking about getting married before i leave!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What country are you from?

In general if you've been in a relationship for over 1 full year, and then get married and apply for PR, there should be nothing suspicious with that. Just make sure to put together a strong application.

CIC does use the type of wedding you have (i.e. how big, formal or informal, family and friends attending etc), as proof of a valid marriage relationship. So try to have as big/normal wedding as possible.

After getting married and before you leave, you should also get as many financial proofs as possible such as:
- joint bank account/credit card
- life insurance on each other
- if she has work benefits, add you as dependant/spouse
- change her status with CRA to married

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Rob_TO said:
What country are you from?

In general if you've been in a relationship for over 1 full year, and then get married and apply for PR, there should be nothing suspicious with that. Just make sure to put together a strong application.

CIC does use the type of wedding you have (i.e. how big, formal or informal, family and friends attending etc), as proof of a valid marriage relationship. So try to have as big/normal wedding as possible.

After getting married and before you leave, you should also get as many financial proofs as possible such as:
- joint bank account/credit card
- life insurance on each other
- if she has work benefits, add you as dependant/spouse
- change her status with CRA to married

I am from Mexico

Well the wedding its gonna be in the backyard with like 8 friends and her family plus my brother because he is here in canada as well. I read here that there are no income requirements to spouse/common law, as long as she didn't get financial help from the goverment and has a job we would be fine, am i correct?

my school and bank both have my address at our place so i guess that would prove that we have been living together. Since we haven't really traveled around here we will submit pictures that we took with our phones and computers.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MrD said:
my school and bank both have my address at our place so i guess that would prove that we have been living together.
You'll need to be able to show bank and school documented dated from last July and showing your shared address. It would be better to also have a joint lease.

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Your relationship will be checked, just as all others who submit spousal sponsorship applications.
Well, your girlfriend can be approved as a sponsor if she is in employment.
Present as much evidence to show you have been in a relationship (photos, phone records, Facebook, etc). That will be very useful.

I doubt having studied in Canada will give you advantage in a spousal sponsorship application. In fact if you leave Canada without completion of your studies, you will need to explain why (potential point of concern for a visa officer)

Otherwise, your best bet is to get married (best wedding you can afford) and then have your new wife sponsor you from outside Canada.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Also - you don't have to leave. If you file your application before your current visa expires, you will be able to stay in Canada. It means that during the whole time, you will not be able to leave Canada - probably around 1.5 years at that point. So it's up to you. On the positive point: you can stay with her, which also makes your application stronger. You won't be able to study or work passed your current work permit (unless your student permit is extendable, but I am not sure), but you should file an application for an open work permit with the inland sponsorship application - that will allow you to stay, and after the first stage (currently 11 months) you will get a work permit.

But to be able to get that - you will have to get married, and file the application before the expiry of your current permit - very short timeline!

For the wedding: if your brother is there, as well as her family, that's definitely a plus, as it shows that both families are aware or your relationship. You can explain that with her minimal wage, and you being a student, you chose to go for a small intimate wedding with family and close friends only - you wouldn't be the first one.

Otherwise, leave Canada at the expiry of your visa, and send your spousal application outland once you have everything ready.
Good luck,
Sweden

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the answer

My still gf now believes that the process will take up to 5 years or even more. Does the canadian government respect the process times? in my case it would take 14 months because i am from mexico, so after the 14 do they mail me the PR or how it works?

Also can i have my medical check here in Canada before i leave? the one in my country is way too far to where my house is located(different states)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
5 years? No way - unless you have all sorts of issues with your application that makes CIC suspicious. I don't know what the timelines are for Mexico but if CIC states 14 months and you send in a complete application and don't have too many problems, then it can be shorter than that (the time CIC lists is usually on the long-ish side - longer than normal).

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
keesio said:
5 years? No way - unless you have all sorts of issues with your application that makes CIC suspicious. I don't know what the timelines are for Mexico but if CIC states 14 months and you send in a complete application and don't have too many problems, then it can be shorter than that (the time CIC lists is usually on the long-ish side - longer than normal).
thanks man i will make sure she checks this, her brother told her that thats why she believes that.

aslank

Nov 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
File Transfer...
15-09-2013
Med's Done....
15-04-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
-
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
-
I don't think you should be as worried as you sound. Whenever you choose to get married, may sure you have pictures to document everything. Mails, letters and messages do come in handy. I am a Canadian, 21, student, with no income, had no trouble getting approved because sponsorship does not have a minimum income requirement. My hubby is from Australia so that made things easier. But he is young too 23, but with a good paying job(although they didn't ask for his income either). You should focus on getting your documents together as to show how your relationship progressed over time. Good Luck!

Neha0017

Nov 18, 2018
Hlo all
I am facing a lot of trouble as me and my partner have been in relationship since 2016 but not in cohibition. I am going for higher studies to canada in 2020 after getting engaged with him. Is it possible for me to take him along, if i come to india and get married after one semester or year? He will be my husband i. e. Spouse. I can show him dependent as well.
Waiting for your reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hlo all
I am facing a lot of trouble as me and my partner have been in relationship since 2016 but not in cohibition. I am going for higher studies to canada in 2020 after getting engaged with him. Is it possible for me to take him along, if i come to india and get married after one semester or year? He will be my husband i. e. Spouse. I can show him dependent as well.
Waiting for your reply.
Hi

He can apply for an OWP after you marry but no guarantees of approval.