+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to be with my boyfriend, process & advise

leianndopeno

Mar 29, 2020
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Other
Hi everyone.

Just a couple of questions regarding our case. I am very confused on what to do despite all the research done.

So I've been with my boyfriend since 2018 and we have planned to move to Canada last year. He got a job and moved there (late 2019) via a temporary work permit. We both have profiles in the EE system and he has started his PR application (still ongoing btw) whereas I'm stuck waiting for an opportunity because of low CRS scores.

We've considered getting married so we could be together and by the time he'll get his PR, he could probably sponsor me using the spousal sponsorship program.

Questions:
1. Can I go to Canada on a visit visa and get married there? I plan to get married and stay there with him and then we do the inland sponsorship thing. Of course, this could only happen once he gets the PR. Will this cause problems in the PR application (for me) in the future?

2. Would it be a red flag if I declare that the purpose of the travel is for marriage?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone.

Just a couple of questions regarding our case. I am very confused on what to do despite all the research done.

So I've been with my boyfriend since 2018 and we have planned to move to Canada last year. He got a job and moved there (late 2019) via a temporary work permit. We both have profiles in the EE system and he has started his PR application (still ongoing btw) whereas I'm stuck waiting for an opportunity because of low CRS scores.

We've considered getting married so we could be together and by the time he'll get his PR, he could probably sponsor me using the spousal sponsorship program.

Questions:
1. Can I go to Canada on a visit visa and get married there? I plan to get married and stay there with him and then we do the inland sponsorship thing. Of course, this could only happen once he gets the PR. Will this cause problems in the PR application (for me) in the future?

2. Would it be a red flag if I declare that the purpose of the travel is for marriage?
1. Yes, you can do that.
2. Yes, this will be a red flag and most likely result in the refusal of your TRV.

Note that if you get married before he is a PR, he will need to add you to his ongoing application.

leianndopeno

Mar 29, 2020
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Other
1. Yes, you can do that.
2. Yes, this will be a red flag and most likely result in the refusal of your TRV.

Note that if you get married before he is a PR, he will need to add you to his ongoing application.
Thanks for the reply. So what's the best way to go about it? Should I go there on a visit visa, get married then stay for the duration of the visit visa and get started with the inland spousal sponsorship? Or marry outside Canada, have him apply for the outland sponsorship and then go there on a visit visa after the application has been logged?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply. So what's the best way to go about it? Should I go there on a visit visa, get married then stay for the duration of the visit visa and get started with the inland spousal sponsorship? Or marry outside Canada, have him apply for the outland sponsorship and then go there on a visit visa after the application has been logged?
The very best way is what scylla already said: to get married before he gets PR so that you can be added to his PR app. That way, you don’t have to go through spousal sponsorship at all.
Not sure if this is in your practical or personal preference, but strictly speaking from immigration, that’s the best way. Since you’re unlikely to get a TRV, the marriage can be in the Philippines.

leianndopeno

Mar 29, 2020
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Other
The very best way is what scylla already said: to get married before he gets PR so that you can be added to his PR app. That way, you don’t have to go through spousal sponsorship at all.
Not sure if this is in your practical or personal preference, but strictly speaking from immigration, that’s the best way. Since you’re unlikely to get a TRV, the marriage can be in the Philippines.
I don't think it's possible for us to get married before he gets the PR. So we're planning on doing it after he gets it.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I don't think it's possible for us to get married before he gets the PR. So we're planning on doing it after he gets it.
You are aware IRCC processing times are likely going to be dramatically slower due to the covid-19 situation. Even if his PR app is already in process, he may not expect a final decision any time soon.
And if I may say so, that's not really practical or smart to wait to marry until after he becomes a PR, so I am guessing personal/cultural reasons may be in play.

leianndopeno

Mar 29, 2020
Dubai, UAE
Category........
Other
You are aware IRCC processing times are likely going to be dramatically slower due to the covid-19 situation. Even if his PR app is already in process, he may not expect a final decision any time soon.
And if I may say so, that's not really practical or smart to wait to marry until after he becomes a PR, so I am guessing personal/cultural reasons may be in play.
Yeah. I thought so too but we'll try to see what we can do until situation regarding the COVID-19 is better and we can actually book flights to see each other and plan accordingly. Thanks :)