+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married to a canadian citizen ( my employer)

palachinke

Nov 21, 2012
I am a caregiver for 2 years already in Canada. I applied for extension of work permit. But me and my employer decide to get married early next year 2013. My question is, what we have to do regarding paper works, and what he should do after we got married. How long will it take for me to become permanent resident as married to canadian citizen.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
palachinke said:
I am a caregiver for 2 years already in Canada. I applied for extension of work permit. But me and my employer decide to get married early next year 2013. My question is, what we have to do regarding paper works, and what he should do after we got married. How long will it take for me to become permanent resident as married to canadian citizen.
You would need to submit an application in the sponsored spouse category after you are married. The time will depend upon if you apply inland or outland and the specifics of your application.

Information about sponsoring a spouse for immigration is on the CIC website as well as the sticky topic in the family sponsorship area of the forum.

angelmay

Jan 5, 2013
My question is similar, I am a US citizen going to marry a canadian. He already has a work visa for the US as he travels all over for work in the US and other countries for his job, but the main office is in Canada.Someone told us if we get married he won't be able to work in canada for a certain amount of time. Is this true? I don't want to mess up his job. When we do get married we will stay in U.S. What do we have to file for him to have a U.S. residency and can he have too residencys in U.S. and Canada? This is new to us and not so easy just to go out and get married like we wanted to.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Wow, I have no idea why someone would suggest that he'd be barred from working in Canada because he married an American.

There's no basis for that type of claim; there may have been some peculiar circumstances for someone, but that's not going to be generally true.

This site is for people trying to come to Canada. I'd suggest looking for a site that assists people coming to the US - the processes are similar at a very high level, but different in the details.

palachinke

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks guys for the time spent reading and replying to my inquiries. I already submitted my extension of work permit and they received it Jan. 8 2013. now i am just waiting if they will approve my application for work permit under same employer. Im kinda confused.. my employer will soon to be my husband, we are just waiting for the result of my extension of work permit, ( as someone advised that its much better for me to have my legal status as a caregiver) before you can get married. My question is that when should we can get married? few months after extended work permit is recieved? and how will he sponsor me?
I dont have plans to leave canada anyways..thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
palachinke said:
Thanks guys for the time spent reading and replying to my inquiries. I already submitted my extension of work permit and they received it Jan. 8 2013. now i am just waiting if they will approve my application for work permit under same employer. Im kinda confused.. my employer will soon to be my husband, we are just waiting for the result of my extension of work permit, ( as someone advised that its much better for me to have my legal status as a caregiver) before you can get married. My question is that when should we can get married? few months after extended work permit is recieved? and how will he sponsor me?
I dont have plans to leave canada anyways..thanks!
I disagree with that suggestion. I'd suggest you get married when YOU want to get married. Nothing about your work permit will matter here, one way or the other.

Once you are married, you can file for permanent residency, regardless of the outcome of your work permit renewal.